ARCHIVE‎ > ‎archive 2015‎ > ‎Hurling Match Reports‎ > ‎

U-21 Hurling Championship

posted 20 Apr 2010, 04:15 by Unknown user   [ updated 20 Apr 2010, 04:16 by Denis Tuohy Agricultural Consultant ]

Wolfe Tones edge past Tulla/Bodyke
Under 21B hurling replay
WOLFE TONES…………….2-12
By Michael O Connor.
At the second time of asking Wolfe Tones overcame the stiff challenge posed by East Clare amalgamation Tulla/Bodyke to set up a quarter final clash next weekend against Ruan. A hard fought first day out had taught both sides a lot about each other thus a higher quality closer fought game on Sunday. Tulla/Bodyke who lost last seasons minor B final were slight favourites to win this tie but an early 2nd minute score from Gary Leahy followed minutes later by a Kevin McCafferty goal had the Shannon men four clear. Four points in ten minutes from Tulla/Boydke’s Trevor Vaughan, Alan Leamy, Colm Halpin and Vaughan once more had the sides level. When Colm Halpin (goal) and Vaughan (point) sent Tulla/Bodyke clear in the 18th minute it appeared that the East Clare side looked capable of pressing on and winning the tie. However this was dispelled three minutes later when Shannon full forward Aidan McMahon goaled from close range to be quickly followed up by points from Gary Leahy and Daniel Gallery to leave Wolfe Tones (2-3) to (1-5) clear after 22 minutes. Exchanges were even in the final ten minutes of the first half as opportunities for scores dried up considerably with both defences dominating. Trevor Vaughan and Gary Leahy who impressed for the Shannon men added a score each respectively in the 27th and 29th minutes as Wolfe Tones held on to a narrow (2-4) to (1-6) half time lead. Wolfe Tones had struggled with their freetaking and midway through the game Aaron Cunningham, son of former Clare trainer Alan took over the duties and converted a number of important efforts in the final quarter to edge his side closer to victory. No goal emerged in the second half for either side but it was no for the want of trying as chances were created but not taken even though 13 points was shared by the two sides in a free flowing second half. After 42 minutes Wolfe Tones had extended their lead to two points, (2-7) to (1-8) as five points were scored in this period. Ciaran Malone and David McInerney were on target for Tulla/Bodyke early on before a hat trick of points from Gary Leahy, John Guilfoyle and Daniel Gallery responded for the Tones. Tulla/Bodyke required a goal to take the lead and put pressure on Wolfe Tones entering the final quarter but it was forthcoming. Aaron Cunninghan, David McInerney, Colm Fitzgerald, Gary Leahy and McInerney once again all hit the target in a six minute spell as Wolfe Tones nervously held onto a (2-9) to (1-11) lead. Despite Tulla/Bodyke requiring the equaliser it was Wolfe Tones who applied the final three scores of the game through the industry of Russell Logan and a brace of Cunningham frees to secure a deserved but hard earned passage to the next round. Best for Wolfe Tones were Joe McGauley, Stephen McInerney, Sean Condron, Gary Leahy, Aaron Cunningham and Gary Whelan. Tulla/Bodyke in defeat were well served by Sean Hogan, Manus Maguire, David McInerney, Sean McGrath, Alan Leamy and Shane McNamara.
WOLFE TONES: Paul Hogan, Gary Whelan, Joe McGauley, Niall Murphy, Stephen Simmonds, Stephen McInerney, John Madigan, Sean Condron, Russell Logan (0-1), John Guilfoyle (0-1), Daniel Gallery (0-2), Gary Leahy (0-5), Aaron Cunningham (0-3), Aidan McMahon (1-0), Kevin McCafferty (1-0).
TULLA/BODYKE: Sam Edbrooke (Bodyke), Gavin Moroney (Bodyke), Sean Hogan (Bodyke), John Fahy (Tulla), Manus Maguire (Bodyke), Sean McGrath(Bodyke), Alan Leamy (Tulla)(0-1), David McInerney (Tulla) (0-3), Danny Maguire (Bodyke), Shane McNamara (Tulla), Trevor Vaughan (Tulla)(0-3), Colm Fitzgerald (Tulla)(0-1), Ciaran Malone (Bodyke) (0-2), John Fitzgerald (Bodyke), Colm Halpin (Tulla) (1-1). Sub: Niall Malone (Bodyke) for Fitzgerald
Referee: Jim Hickey (Cratloe).

Clonlara struggle past dogged St Josephs
Under 21A hurling quarter final
ST JOSEPHS……..1-10
By Michael O Connor.
Sixmilebridge are now the Kauto star of the under 21A championship. Apparently unbeatable with their supposed main opponents labouring over the fences against lesser opponents. It appears following two games each by the main protagonists for the under 21A title that they will meet in the final. However who could ignore the challenge of Eire-og who for me impressed greatly in the win over Inagh/Kilnamona and will test Clonlara to the limits.
Sixmilebridge accounted with ease the challenge of Crusheen in a game that never raised its standard above the ordinary. The overall strength and pace in the wings/corners is a massive plus for Sean Stacks double chasing pack. Darach Honan who did most of his productive work outfield opened the scoring from play after five minutes with Clonlara aided by the stiff breeze. Shane O Connor within a minute had a Josephs side who were well up for the game level with Clonlara before Colm Galvin gave his side a lead they never subsequently surrendered.
The strong lead that St Josephs allowed Clonlara to create proved the stumbling block to the courageous second half Barefield fightback when they were the better side. By the end of the third quarter Clonlara led (0-5) to (0-1) with scores coming from Cathal O Connell and Nicky O Connell. Instead of blasting St Josephs aside in the second quarter Clonlara hit wide after wide allowing their opposition to draw a second breath and attack late in the half with Shane O Connor converting a second score from a free. Jason Murphy (2) and Honan added Clonlara scores between the 22nd and 30th minutes to leave Clonlara (0-8) to (0-2) ahead at the break but facing the wind.
John Conlon and Nicky O Connell were working hard but with little reward as the young Josephs side were in need of an early goal to kickstart their challenge. Jason Murphy started the second half as he finished the first with a well taken point. James Hastings was most unlucky not to have the first goal when his 32nd minute effort hit the butt of the Josephs right post. A massive boost that help set the stage for an exciting last ten minutes came about when four points in three minutes from St Josephs brought the game to life.
Ivor White with a wonderful brace in a minute allied to scores from Shane O Connor and wing back Sean Burns narrowed the Clonlara lead to three points by the 37th minute. Once again the emerging freetaking confidence of Cathal Tots O Connell created two more scores from acute angles either side of a brilliant score from Jarlath Colleran to leave Clonlara nervous four points leaders after 48 minutes. Colm Galvin stretched this to five before Honan set off on a mazy run beating five and blasting to the net for Clonlara as they surged eight clear and looked nailed on for the win. St Josephs were still attacking and copied Clonlara’s errors with the wind and wasted possession shooting wides they could ill afford to when they were in the ascendancy.
Clonlara did not score for the final 12 minutes of action and for the second weekend in a row can thank Patrick Stritch for keeping them in the title race. Shane O Connor pointed in the 54th minute. Enda Lyons goaled the rebound from a Pat Stritch save following a Jarlath Colleran goal effort. Stritch engineered another fine save a minute later before two O Connor scores, one a free left Josephs two behind at the final whistle and bemoaning what might have been.
Best for the winners were Pat Stritch, Chris O Kane, Darach Honan, Cathal O Connell, Jason Murphy, Colm Galvin and James Hastings. The vanquished had strong displays from Shane O Connor, Gary Hassett, Ivor Whyte, Mark Hallinan, Alan O Neill, Jarlath Colleran and Sean Burns. One warning to Sixmilebridge bearing in mind the recent gold cup, Kauto star fell, Denman laboured and imperial commander came from nowhere. Three interesting games left in the championship.
CLONLARA: Patrick Stritch, Oisin O Brien, Chris O Kane, Stephen Maher, Ian McCarthy, Nicky O Connell (0-1), Patrick Clancy, John Conlon (0-1), Cillian Fennessy, Colm Galvin (0-2), Jason Murphy (0-3), Kenneth Haskett, Cathal O Connell (0-3) Darach Honan (1-2), James Hastings
ST JOSEPHS: Michael Rosengrave, Gary Hassett, Alan O Neill, Stephen Collins, Sean Burns (0-1), Mark Hallinan, Eamonn Clohessy, Ivor Whyte (0-2), Leo Duggan, Niall Collins, Shane O Connor (0-6), Niall DeLoughrey, Enda Lyons (1-0), Ion Lyons, Jarlath Colleran (0-1).
REFEREE: Ger Hoey (Killanena).
The real heroes of this game were Wolfe Tones GAA club and Clonlara medical assistants amongst others who came to the aid of a St Josephs supporter who suffered a suspected heart attack early in the game. Within ten minutes the defibrillator, ambulance car who happened to be in Shannon and the Clonlara nurse had the situation under control. Well done to all concerned. The eldery Josephs supporter who had a relative playing was revived and brought to hospital and is on the road to recovery.