ARCHIVE‎ > ‎archive 2015‎ > ‎Hurling Match Reports‎ > ‎

Senior Champ Roundup

posted 19 May 2011, 06:55 by Unknown user   [ updated 19 May 2011, 07:05 by Denis Tuohy Agricultural Consultant ]

Crusheen  1-13    Kilmaley  1-13

While both Crusheen and Kilmaley can point to missed chances at Cusack Park on Saturday evening a draw was a fair outcome on a day when the sides were level on six occasions. Champions Crusheen had to rely on an injury time point from a Pat Vaughan free to earn a share of the spoils.

Crusheen looked to be in a strong position when they went to the break leading by four points after playing against the wind. Kilmaley, helped by some changes, stepped up a gear in the second half and as the game ticked into added time they looked the likely winners. Crusheen captain Gerry O’Grady showed his experience however when winning the free which Vaughan converted to level the game seconds before the final whistle.
The champions went into the game without the injured Cronan Dillon. This led to the switch of his brother Cian to full-back, the move of Pat Vaughan from midfield to centre-back and the introduction of Sean Dillon at midfield. Early in the game they lost Joe Meaney with a hand injury.
Kilmaley lined out with seven members of their minor A championship winning side from 2009 in the starting line-up.
Two early Daire Keane points gave Kilmaley the lead, the second point coming a good save by Crusheen goalie Donal Tuohy. Fergus Kennedy opened Crusheen’s account in the third minute but a Colin Lynch effort quickly restored Kilmaley’s two-point advantage. They were level at 0-3 each after minutes. They swapped points twice before the end of the first quarter when it was 0-5 each.
From here to the break, Crusheen had the better of matters with their forwards causing problems for the Kilmaley defence. Two pointed frees from Pat Vaughan and one from play from the county captain, together with a point from Paddy Meaney, saw the champions open a four-point lead by half time, 0-9 to 0-5.
Shortly before the break, Kilmaley introduced John Clohessy for Colin McGuane in an effort to tighten up their defence. They returned for the second half with Declan Clancy at centre-forward in place of Eoin Enright and they started at a lively pace with points from Kenneth Kennedy (a 65’ and a free) and one from Daire Keane to cut the lead to the minimum with just four minutes played.
In their first attack of the half, Crusheen had a goal from Fergus Kennedy but Kilmaley, to their credit, didn’t panic and were quickly back on the attack. John Cabey pointed after a Diarmuid McMahon effort had been blocked down. They continued to press and were rewarded in the eleventh minute when Daire Keane first timed the ball to the net to tie up the game at 1-9 each.
They weren’t to score again for 12 minutes and in that time, Crusheen had opened a three point gap from Pat Vaughan (free) and a brace from Gearóid O’Donnell. The introduction of Seamus Hurley to the Kilmaley attack helped improve matters and two Kenneth Kennedy pointed frees and one from play from Declan Clancy levelled the tie for the fifth time with four minutes to go.
When Diarmuid McMahon gave his side the lead a minute later, they looked to have the edge but Vaughan tied it up again two minutes into injury time after his side had been guilty of a couple of bad wides.
Cian and Cathal Dillon, Pat Vaughan, David Forde and Gerry O’Grady got through a lot of good work for Crusheen while Colin Lynch, Daire Keane, Martin O’Connor, Declan Clancy and John Clohessy did well for Kilmaley.

Crusheen: Donal Tuohy; John  Brigdale, Cian Dillon, Alan Brigdale; Ciarán O’Doherty, Pat Vaughan, Cathal Dillon; Tony Meaney, Sean Dillon; Gearóid O’Donnell, Joe Meaney, David Forde; Conor O’Donnell, Gerry O’Grady (c) Fergus Kennedy.
Subs: Paddy Meaney for Joe Meaney (inj 16 minutes). 
Scorers: Pat Vaughan (0-5, 4f). Fergus Kennedy (1-1), Gearóid O’Donnell (0-2); Tony Meaney, Joe Meaney, David Forde, Conor O’Donnell, Paddy Meaney (0-1 each).

KilmaleyKieran Dillon; Conor McMahon, Anthony Cahill, Martin O’Connor; Colin McGuane, Alan Markham (c) Noel Casey; Kenneth Kenneth, Colin Lynch; Daire Keane, Eoin Enright, John Cabey; Niall McGuane, Diarmuid McMahon, Michael O’Neill.
Subs: John Clohessy for C McGuane (25 minutes), Declan Clancy for Enright (half time), Padraig Talty for N McGuane (43 minutes), Seamus Hurley for Cabey (48 minutes), Sean Talty for O’Connor (48 minutes).
Scorers: Daire Keane (1-3); Kenneth Kennedy (0-4, 3f, 1 ’65); Colin Lynch, John Cabey (0-2) each; Declan Clancy, Diarmuid McMahon (0-1 each).

Referee: Rory Hickey, Éire Óg.

Tulla 1-14  O'Callaghans Mills  1-7

From Tulla’s viewpoint they won’t worry about the fact that they didn’t hurl with real verve or quality. In a first round game, achieving a result is paramount and they were well worth their win, even if the game itself wasn’t up to much. 
The defining score was struck in first half injury time. Conor O’Halloran directed a shot from around half way towards the O’Callaghan’s Mills goalmouth. Unfortunately Mills goalkeeper John Cooney allowed the ball to slip from his grasp and over the line. There wasn’t even time for the puck-out. Tulla had the wind in the opening half and now led 1-7 to 0-3. If that lead had just been a four-point one, the Mills would have been convinced that they could have taken Tulla with the wind behind them. 
It’s instructive to note that both halves featured two wides apiece before either side scored. 
The first half frees from which Andrew Quinn hit three points were all won by Danny O’Halloran, who could have goaled from one if advantage had been played. Later in the half O’Halloran won another pointed free off Gerry Cooney but it looked that time as if the Tulla man had committed the foul and not the Mills corner-back.  
Aidan Lynch struck two of his four points from play in the opening half, while Cathal Dinan and Andrew Quinn with three frees and one from play, completed their total. Quinn’s point from play was set up by a superb Darragh Corry diagonal ball. 
Adrian Flaherty with two frees and Gary Neville, pointed the losers’ three first half scores. Flaherty missed an easy seventh minute free while James McMahon hit a poor wide seven minutes from half time. 
The Mills upped their game somewhat after half time, putting over three points from Gary Neville, Declan Donovan and Pat Donnellan. Now just 1-7 to 0-6 and with the wind behind them, they looked as if they might open up. Instead Tulla notched four points inside seven minutes to establish a 1-11 to 0-7 lead. Gary Neville scored again for his side in that spell. 
Five minutes from time Alan Duggan goaled for The Mills after Philip Brennan had saved smartly from James McMahon. However his clearance was under hit and fell to Duggan who netted. 
Now just four points adrift, could O’Callaghan’s Mills test Tulla’s fibre? It didn’t happen. Instead Danny and Conor O’Halloran struck three points between them and that was that. 
Tulla play Clarecastle in two weeks, while The Mills needn’t worry about championship hurling for three months. 
Aidan Lynch was the best forward on the field, while the Tulla defence were very solid generally. David McInerney and Darragh Corry also showed some nice touches and plenty of potential in the Tulla attack. Gary Neville worked very hard for The Mills who didn’t display sufficient championship bite or resolve.

Inagh-Kilnamona  0-16  

Whitegate  3-9

Nine minutes from time Inagh-Kilnamona led by just two points (0-11 to 0-9). Briefly, it looked as if Whitegate were about to rouse themselves for a thundering closing ten minutes. Instead Inagh-Kilnamona reasserted their authority and put over five successive points as Whitegate wilted.

In what was a fairly tepid hours of hurling in Cusack Park on Sunday afternoon, nine Inagh-Kilnamona men managed to split the posts. Just four Whitegate men did the same, with George Waterstone hitting six, five from frees. 
Three of his team-mates put over a point apiece and therein lay the primary difference between the sides. Although the winners didn’t hurl particularly fluently, they had several players who were capable of putting over a score from frees or play. Whitegate couldn’t match that scoring spread.   
Having played with a reasonably strong wind, Whitegate didn’t avail of it sufficiently in the opening half. The teams were tied at 0-6 each at half time. Waterstone struck five of Whitegate’s scores, four from frees, with John Minogue adding the remainder from distance. 
Ger Arthur, Damien Lafferty, Cathal Lafferty, Eoin Vaughan and Conor Tierney, with two late points, scored their sides first half total. 
One of the few highlights of the first half was Tomás Kelly’s searing run through the Whitegate defence to set up Tierney’s first score. The other source of some fleeting excitement was when Ger Arthur was deemed to have scored a point by the umpire at the town side only for referee Seánie McMahon to rule it wide. 
Whitegate brought Eoin Quirke on for Trevor Kelly after half-time. Centre forward John Minogue was moved to corner-back and did well there. Yet the winners made much the better start to the second half. Tomás Kelly hit two points from play, the first in a move started by full back Brian Glynn. 
Niall Arthur also pointed from play in this period as Inagh-Kilnamona established a 0-9 to 0-6 lead. 
George Waterstone and Shane O’Rourke pointed for the East Clare club but the winners responded with scores from Ger Arthur and goalkeeper Patrick Kelly. Tomás McNamara’s 21st minute point could have signalled a Whitegate revival but instead Inagh-Kilnamona kicked on and closed out the game, with five unanswered points. 
Inagh-Kilnamona will have plenty of time to reflect on this game. They won’t be playing championship hurling again for three months. Round three is on the weekend of August 6 and they have a bye in round two. Remember, this is Clare and the county’s GAA club players are free of the stresses of championship hurling every summer. 
Whitegate play Tubber in their next game on the weekend of May 28. 
Tomás Kelly played some great hurling for the winners, while Brian and Eamon Glynn were very solid in defence. None of their forwards played consistently for the full hour but Ger Arthur put over some nice scores, as did Conor Tierney and Damien Lafferty. 
Whitegate defended reasonably well but they were very short on scoring options in attack. 

Inagh-Kilnamona: Patrick Kelly; Milo Keane, Brian Glynn, Dermot Lynch (C); Ronan O’Looney, Eamon Glynn, David Hegarty; Tomás Kelly, Colm Pilkington; Damien Lafferty, Cathal Lafferty, Eoin Vaughan; Conor Tierney, Niall Arthur, Ger Arthur. 
Subs: Shane Griffin for Colm Pilkington (58), Dermot Gannon for Niall Arthur, Cathal Griffin for Cathal Lafferty. 
Scorers: Ger Arthur (0-5, 0-3f), Damien Lafferty, Conor Tierney, Tomás Kelly (0-2 each), Eamon Glynn, Cathal Lafferty, Eoin Vaughan, Patrick Kelly (0-1f each), Niall Arthur (0-1 each). 

Whitegate: Andrew Fahy; Cathal Mulvihill, John Bugler, Trevor Kelly; Jason Malone, Brendan Bugler, Patrick Minogue; Tomás McNamara, John O’Brien; Ian Fahy, John Minogue, George Waterstone; Michael O’Brien, Stephen Malone, Shane O’Rourke. 
Subs: Eoin Quirke for Trevor Kelly (half time). 
Scorers: George Waterstone (0-6, 0-5f), John Minogue, Shane O’Rourke, Tomás McNamara. 

Referee: Seánie McMahon (Newmarket on Fergus).

Killanena  0-10     

Smith O'Brien's  1-7

History was made on Sunday when Killanena played in the senior hurling championship for the first time. For a long time it looked as if it would be a truly memorable day for the 2010 intermediate champions but Smith O’Brien’s pointed twice in the closing minutes to earn a share of the spoils.

Missed chances, wrong options and poor striking are all part of first round games and there were plenty of errors from both sides when they clashed before a good attendance at Scariff.
Playing against the wind in the first half, Killanena made a great start and raced five points clear after just nine minutes. Smith O’Brien’s problems increased four minutes later when they were reduced to 14 men. Liam Walsh was red carded following an off-the-ball incident which left Enda Collins needing attention and put him off the pitch for eight minutes. Referee Fergie McDonagh dismissed Walsh after consulting with his umpires.
Three Mark Flaherty points, the first two from frees, had Killanena three clear after five minutes. Mikey Noone and Colin McNamara added to their side’s tally by the ninth and Smith O’Brien’s had to wait a further ten minutes before opening their account.
A good delivery from midfield was won by Anthony O’Sullivan who slipped inside his marker before shooting past the advancing David Noone for the game’s only goal. Prior to this they were guilty of quite a number of misses from both play and frees. They registered 10 wides in the opening half.
Mikey Noone replied with a Killanena point but the Killaloe side finished the half strongly with points from O’Sullivan, Kevin Walsh (free) and John Cusack to leave the sides level at 0-6 to 1-3 at the midway point.
Killanena started the second half as they had the first and a Fintan McNamara point put them back in the lead. They should have gone further ahead in the fifth minute of the half but teenager Padraig Brady saw his kicked effort go wide after he had created a great opening. 
A Mark Flaherty effort from a 60m free put them two clear 12 minutes into the half. They looked to be about to extend that advantage at the mid-point of the half when Brady put Flaherty clear with only Killaloe goalie Jonathon Hayes to beat, only for referee McDonagh to penalise Brady for throwing the ball.
As was the case in the opening half, Smith O’Brien’s had to wait until the 19th minute for their opening score, a point from a Kevin Walsh free which left the minimum between the sides.
The standard of hurling may not have improved but there was no shortage of excitement in the closing stages. Flaherty landed a huge effort from a 110m free but this was quickly cancelled by a John Cusack free. A Flaherty effort from play put two between them again with as many minutes remaining but within seconds, Trevor Howard scored to leave the minimum separating the sides again. A minute from time Dean Sinnott hit the leveller.
Four minutes of injury time were played and in the last of these Smith O’Briens were awarded an 80m free. John Cusack’s effort into the wind dropped short and seconds later the final whistle sounded.
While the game won’t be remembered for the quality of its hurling, there was plenty of honest endeavour from both sides. Seamus Gleeson, Michael Culhane and Pat Vaughan worked hard throughout for Smith O’Brien’s while Alan McNamara, Joe Clancy, Enda Collins, Mikey Noone and Mark Flaherty played prominent roles for Killanena

Killanena: David Noone; Alan McNamara, Joe Clancy, Pat Noone (c); Enda Collins, John O’Mara, Barry Noone; Mikey Noone, Gerry McNamara; John Noonan, Fintan McNamara, Noel Sheedy; Colin McNamara, Mark Flaherty, Padraig Brady.
Sub: Stephen McMahon for C McNamara (46 minutes).
Scorers: Mark Flaherty (0-6, 4f); Mikey Noone (0-2); Colin McNamara, Fintan McNamara (0-1) each.

Smith O’Brien’s: Jonathon Hayes; Michael Culhane, Seamus Gleeson, Aidan McKeogh; Micheál Ryan, Pat Vaughan (c) Shane Tuohy; Trevor Howard, Seanie Conway; Kevin Walsh, Brian McInerney, Liam Walsh; Mark O’Halloran, John Cusack, Anthony O’Sullivan.
Subs: Mark Stritch for McKeogh (half-time), Dwane Sheedy for Conway (40 minutes), Dean Sinnott for K Walsh (50 minutes), Stephen McCarthy for O’Sullivan (51 minutes), Kevin McEvoy for M Ryan (52 minutes).
Scorers: Anthony O’Sullivan (1-1); John Cusack (1f); Kevin Walsh (0-2f); Trevor Howard, Dean Sinnott (0-1) each.

Referee: Fergie McDonagh, St Joseph’s