ARCHIVE‎ > ‎archive 2015‎ > ‎Hurling Match Reports‎ > ‎

Senior B Final

posted 21 Oct 2010, 12:00 by Unknown user   [ updated 21 Oct 2010, 12:02 by Denis Tuohy Agricultural Consultant ]

Tulla 3-14            Inagh-Kilnamona 0-17

A STORMING first quarter in which they opened a 10-point lead helped Tulla to capture the Senior B Hurling Championship at the expense of Inagh-Kilnamona at Clarecastle on Saturday last.
Played in glorious conditions, the physically stronger and more experienced Tulla led from the outset. While Inagh-Kilnamona did show improved form in the second half, they were never able to haul back their opponent’s lead which was built up in the opening quarter.
Ciarán Brennan struck for his first goal in the third minute when he found the net after good work by Brian Lynch. Two points each from Aidan Lynch and Brennan had the winners 1-4 ahead before Ger Arthur opened Inagh-Kilnamona’s account in the 12th minute.
Brennan struck for his second goal in the 15th minute and when Ray Stewart followed with a point, the winners were 2-7 to 0-2 in front with the game just a minute into the second quarter.
Inagh-Kilnamona did improve a little after this and had four unanswered points but Tulla replied with points from Andrew Quinn (free) and Conor O’Halloran to go to the break 2-9 to 0-7 ahead.
Hopes of an Inagh-Kilnamona revival were dashed inside the first minute of the second half when Tulla struck for their third goal. An Andrew Quinn delivery caused problems for the Inagh-Kilnamona defence and Ray Stewart nipped in to flick the ball to the net.
While the beaten finalists responded with five unanswered points, they were always chasing the game after Tulla’s third goal. Three minutes into the second half, they called on goalie Patrick Kelly to try for a goal from a 20m free but his effort was deflected behind for a 65’. Later in the half, Kelly tried for a goal from another 20m free and this time his effort was turned over the bar by Philip Brennan.
At the three-quarter stage, the score was 3-11 to 0-13 in Tulla’s favour and while Inagh-Kilnamona battled to the end, they never looked like getting the goal they needed to get back into contention for the title.
Eugene Cooney, Cian McInerney and Paul Lynch were prominent in defence for the winners while elsewhere Brian Lynch, Ciarán Brennan, in the first half, and Aidan Lynch were to the fore.
Jamie Davin, Milo Keane and Ronan O’Looney did well in defence for Inagh-Kilnamona while Ger Arthur and Dermot Gannon had their moments.

Tulla: Philip Brennan; Eugene Cooney, Darragh Corry, John Brennan; Cian McInerney, Paul Lynch, Mark Quinn; Brian Lynch, Conor O’Halloran; Ciaran Brennan, Andrew Quinn, Aidan Lynch; Ray Stewart, Brian Quinn, David McInerney.

Subs: Michael Murphy for B Quinn; Eanna Torpey for C Brennan; Trevor Vaughan for D McInerney.

Scorers: Ciarán Brennan (2-2); Ray Stewart (1-2), Aidan Lynch (0-3), Andrew Quinn (frees), Brian Lynch, Michael Murphy (0-2 each), Conor O’Halloran (0-1).

Frees for: 5; wides: 11.

Inagh-Kilnamona: Patrick Kelly; Damian Lafferty, Jamie Davin, Milo Keane; Colm Pilkington, Ronan O’Looney, David Hegarty; Owen Vaughan Shane Griffin; Ger Arthur, Cathal Lafferty, Dermot Gannon; Conor Tierney, Cathal Griffin, Brian Hehir.

Subs: Haulie Vaughan for Owen Vaughan (15 minutes); Niall Arthur for C Griffin (34 minutes); Brian Foudy for Pilkington (48 minutes).

Scorers: Ger Arthur (0-9, 5f); Dermot Gannon (0-3), Brian Hehir (0-2), Patrick Kelly (free), Conor Tierney, Niall Arthur (0-1) each.

Frees for: 9; wides: 11

Referee: Fergie McDonagh, St Joseph’s.