ARCHIVE‎ > ‎archive 2015‎ > ‎Hurling Match Reports‎ > ‎

N.H.L. Clare V Wexord win for Clare

posted 20 Apr 2010, 04:13 by Unknown user   [ updated 20 Apr 2010, 04:14 by Denis Tuohy Agricultural Consultant ]

N.H.L. Clare V Wexord win for Clare

Tuesday, March 16th, 2010

Match Report Monday March 15 2010
A share of the spoils was probably a fair result in yesterday’s
top-of-the-table clash at Cusack Park in Ennis. Clare did most of the
hurling in the opening half and led by 10 points at one stage before the
visitors put in a storming second-half performance to earn the draw.
Man of the match, Diarmuid Lyng, earned Wexford the valuable league
point when, with the last action of the game, he landed a huge free from
inside his own half, close to the left sideline.

Afterwards, Wexford team manager Colm Bonnar expressed his satisfaction
with his team’s performance. “I’m happy enough that we got a draw out
of it,” Bonnar commented. “We worked hard but we gave Clare a 10-point
lead in the first half. But we regrouped and, in fairness, worked very
hard to get that draw. “I suppose it was a fair result in the end
because Clare left a few scores behind them on the day.” Clare did spurn
two golden opportunities for goals in either half and if the first
chance was taken by the in-form Darach Honan to raise a green flag
instead of a white one on 29 minutes, he would have put his side 12
points ahead. As it turned out, a point was the outcome leaving the
Banner 1-13 to 0-6 ahead, but a storming first-half finish by the
Leinster side saw them rack up 1-4 in a five-minute period to leave them
1-14 to 1-10 adrift at the break.


The second Clare goal chance occurred in the 62nd minute when, after a
good delivery by Colin Ryan, wing-forward Sean Collins saw his shot sail
over the bar with the goal at his mercy. After half-time, Wexford upped
the ante again and with Colm Farrell and Harry Kehoe dominant at
midfield, they began to gnaw away at the lead. A goal by Lyng in the
56th minute levelled matters and when the same player pointed five
minutes later, the Slaneysiders were ahead for the first time since the
third minute. In an exciting finish, Clare regained the advantage
through points by Collins, Honan and Ryan, while Lyng shot two more
before the end, the last-gasp free just before the whistle being the
all-important score.

Like Bonner, Clare team manager Ger O’Loughlin was relatively pleased
with his side’s performance. He started with seven of the Clare U-21
team who achieved All-Ireland success last September, but there was
probably a certain amount of inexperience on the field that allowed them
to lose such a convincing lead. “We were on the back-foot, big time in
the second half,” conceded the former All-Star. “But you’d take the
draw in the end, it was a fair result and we’d be hoping that we’d learn
from this game. I’d say both teams learned from it.”

Scorers — Clare: D Honan 1-6; C Ryan 0-9 (7f); J Conlon 0-2; B
O’Connell, N O’Connell (0-1f), J Clancy, P Vaughan, S Collins 0-1 each.
Wexford: D Lyng 1-9 (5f, 1 ‘65); R Jacob 1-3; H Kehoe 0-3; T Waters, S
Banville, A Shore, C Farrell 0-1 each.

Clare — P Brennan; P Vaughan, C Dillon, D O’Donovan; N O’Connell,J
McInerney, P Donnellan; M Murphy, B O’Connell; S Collins, J Clancy, D
McMahon; D Honan, J Conlon, C Ryan.
Subs: B Bugler for N O’Connell (49), F Lynch for B O’Connell (53), D
Barrett for Murphy (64).

Wexford — N Carton; E Doyle, P Roche, K Rossiter; M Travers, C Kenny, R
Kehoe; C Farrell, H Kehoe; D Lyng, T Waters, A Shore; R Jacob, S
Banville, J Berry. Subs: T Mahon for Waters (54), P Nolan for R Kehoe
(66), P Atkinson for Berry (68).

Ref — D O’Driscoll (Limerick)