ARCHIVE‎ > ‎archive 2015‎ > ‎Hurling Match Reports‎ > ‎

Harty Cup

posted 18 Nov 2010, 03:34 by Unknown user   [ updated 18 Nov 2010, 03:39 by Denis Tuohy Agricultural Consultant ]

Charleville CBS (Cork) 3-10 St Caimin's (Clare) 2-13


By Diarmuid O'Flynn


Thursday, November 18, 2010


DRAMA at the end of this cracking Harty Cup third round group game in

Ballybrown yesterday, fortunes swaying first one way and then the other,

a precious quarter-final berth at stake. St Caimin's needed to win, with

Charleville ahead in the group by just a single point in scoring

difference. And, as the game headed into injury-time, the Clare college

led by two points, 2-12 to 2-10, courtesy of a rapid-fire 1-1 from

county minor star Alan Mulready. Up stepped Charleville's magnificent

centre-back David Reidy, however, and, after Caimin's keeper Ronan

Mulcahy had stopped a goalbound shot from midfielder Darren Sheehy, the

Athlacca star of the future pounced for the third Charleville goal,

putting his side a point ahead.


Still it wasn't over, however. Finding a third minute of injury-time,,

referee Michael Mann awarded a free to Caimin's just inside the 45m

line, and up stepped another Clare minor star of this year, Aaron

Cunningham - their man of the match - and drilled it over the bar. A

draw, and definitely the right result because neither of these two

superb sides deserved to lose. But heartache for Caimin's, pipped at the

post for the last eight spot, joy for a very young Charleville side.  St

Caimin's began at a blistering pace, with Aaron Cunningham causing havoc

in the inside line of attack. They led 1-2 to 0-0 after six minutes,

Cunningham with the goal, points coming from the hard-working Shane

Liddy and Sean Lynch. It took Charleville until the eighth minute to

raise a flag but when they finally did, they made a habit of it, scoring

2-2 without reply in the next 10 minutes, the deadly duo of James

O'Brien and Pa O'Callaghan with 1-1 apiece.


From there to the break, however, it was tit-for-tat, both sides playing

really good hurling despite a heavy sod. Five further points apiece were

clocked up, Cunningham doing most of the damage for Caimin's, O'Brien

and O'Callaghan continuing to score for Charleville, along with

impressive centre-forward Mark Kavanagh, leaving Charleville 2-7 to 1-7

ahead at the break.  Despite all the fine scores, both defences also

featured some superb hurlers, and the third quarter saw scores hard to

come by. A sequence of four Cunningham points, against three for

Charleville (O'Callaghan, O'Brien, Kavanagh), then a cracking goal from

Mulready, followed by an over-the-shoulder point by the same player, and

the scene was set for that frantic finish.


David Reidy had been superb all through (as had been his wing-backs,

Alan Dennehy and Conor Twomey) but now he was needed up front and when

that half-chance came, he delivered, a shot rifled to the roof of the

net.  Tough on Caimin's, but that's the beauty of the round-robin

structure, the finest of margins can be decisive.


Scorers - Charleville CBS: J O'Brien 1-4, P O'Callaghan 1-4 (0-3 frees);

D Reidy 1-0, M Kavanagh 0-2 (0-1 free).


St. Caimin's: A Cunningham 1-9 (0-5 frees), A Mulready 1-1, S Lynch 0-2,

S Liddy 0-1.


Charleville CBS: TJ Garvey; S Butler, J Madigan, J Walsh; A Dennehy, D

Reidy, C Twomey; M O'Loughlin, D Sheehy; J Morrissey, M Kavanagh, T Rea;

P O'Callaghan, J O'Brien, D Copps. Subs: G Kelleher (Copps 51), J

Fitzgibbon (Morrissey 59).


St. Caimin's: R McCauley; S O'Leary, D Ryan, B Carey; C O'Brien, N

O'Connor, S Kelleher; F Melody, K McCafferty; S Liddy, A Mulready, D

Collins; C Deasy, A Cunningham, S Lynch. Subs: S Gleeson (Collins 45).


Referee: M Mann (Ballybrown)