ARCHIVE‎ > ‎archive 2015‎ > ‎Hurling Match Reports‎ > ‎

Crusheen in Semi-Final

posted 23 Sep 2010, 08:57 by Unknown user   [ updated 23 Sep 2010, 08:59 by Denis Tuohy Agricultural Consultant ]

Crusheen    1-10           Clarecastle   0-10 

While Clarecastle followers will point to a defensive blunder as the reason for the all-important goal at Cusack Park on Saturday evening, they will surely agree that Crusheen deserved to win.
They were an all round better-balanced team and their defence, as predicted, dominated and limited the Magpies’ scoring opportunities. At the other end of the field, the Crusheen forwards, while showing improved form on recent outings, still struggled in a number of places and this is an area in which there will have to be improvement if they are to be in contention come final day.
Crusheen’s victory, however, was dampened by the sending off of defender Cathal Dillon, arguably their most consistent performer over the past four years, just before full time. 
Dillon and Conor Plunkett were shown straight red cards following a melee involving a number of players from both teams.
Just as was the case with Clooney-Quin earlier in the afternoon in Shannon, Clarecastle were boosted by the presence of a number of players that were ruled out earlier in the week due to injury.
Conor Plunkett who recently had a plaster removed from his hand was in his regular centre-back position while Patrick Kelly also returned to a starting line up that did not include Aaron Considine due to a finger injury sustained a week earlier.
Crusheen put down a marker from the throw-in and they dominated the opening ten minutes. It took a timely hook by Seanie Moloney to deny Gerry O’Grady in the first minute but Crusheen dictated play in these early stages and points from Pat Vaughan (65’), Joe Meaney, Cathal Dillon and Gearóid O’Donnell had them four clear after eight minutes.
Clarecastle came more into the game at the start of the second quarter and points from Tyrone Kearse, Eamonn Callinan and Derek Quinn, suggested that this might be a tight affair.
It was 0-7 to 0-4 in the winner’s favour as half time approached. Clarecastle looked to have dealt with a Crusheen attack but Ollie Plunkett lost possession and Crusheen pounced for a Conor O’Donnell goal after Joe Meaney’s effort had rebounded off the crossbar. The Magpies finished the half strongly with points from Stephen O’Halloran and Tyrone Kearse to leave the score at 1-7 to 0-6 in favour of Crusheen.
Each side scored three points during the third quarter but it will be worrying for Crusheen that their final score in this tie came 12 minutes into the second half. In fact, the final quarter produced just one score, a Tyrone Kearse point from a free with five minutes remaining. Defences dominated in this period when both clubs also availed of the opportunity to make changes. Clarecastle sent in Alan O’Loughlin, Sean Talty and Gary Farmer in an effort to get the scores they needed to get back into contention but Crusheen held firm and when the final whistle sounded they were deservingly through to the next round.
In a strong defence, the Dillon brothers, the Brigdales, Pat Vaughan and Ciaran O’Doherty all did well on a day when Donal Tuohy didn’t have a save to make.
County minor Stephen O’Halloran excelled in defence for the Magpies and he also chipped in with two points. Seanie Moloney, Mark McNamara, Conor Plunkett, Tyrone Kearse and Jonathon Clancy, until injured, also got through good work.

Crusheen: Donal Tuohy; John Brigdale, Cronan Dillon, Alan Brigdale; Cathal Dillon, Cian Dillon, Pat Vaughan; Tony Meaney, Ciaran O’Doherty; Gearóid O’Donnell, Joe Meaney, David Forde; Fergus Kennedy, Gerry O’Grady, Conor O’Donnell.
Subs: Alan Tuohy for G O’Donnell (44 minutes); Paddy Meaney for A Tuohy (58 minutes).
Scorers: Pat Vaughan (0-6, 0-4f, 1 65, 1 lineball); Conor O’Donnell (1-0); Joe Meaney (0-2); Gearóid O’Donnell, Cathal Dillon (0-1 each).
Frees For: 6; wides: 11; 65s: 1

Clarecastle: John Casey; Seanie Moloney, Mark McNamara, Ollie Plunkett; Patrick Kelly, Conor Plunkett, Stephen O’Halloran; Tyrone Kearse, Jonathon Clancy; Danny Scanlan, Eric Flynn, Derek Quinn; 
Eamonn Callinan, Dara Moloney, Fergus Ryan.
Subs: Alan O’Loughlin for Flynn (47 minutes); Sean Talty for Kelly (47 minutes); Gary Farmer for Clancy (inj, 56 minutes).
Scorers: Tyrone Kearse (0-4, 2f); Stephen O’Halloran (0-2); Jonathon Clancy, Derek Quinn, Eamonn Callinan, Dara Moloney (0-1 each).
Frees: 8; wides: 6; 65s: 1

Referee: Ger Lyons, Ruan.