ARCHIVE‎ > ‎archive 2015‎ > ‎Hurling Match Reports‎ > ‎

Championship Roundup

posted 12 Aug 2011, 02:06 by Unknown user   [ updated 12 Aug 2011, 02:21 by Denis Tuohy Agricultural Consultant ]


Cratloe 0-20   Whitegate 2-12

    The final scoreline in this senior championship Round 3 game shows just two points between the sides and while Whitegate will point to some bad misses in the second half, the reality is that they were fortunate to have been as close at the final whistle.
Cratloe dominated the opening half and Whitegate were fortunate to have been just eight points in arrears at the break. The winners were guilty of some bad wides in that period when they dominated most areas and would not have been flattered by a much bigger winning margin.
In the second half, when they had the aid of the wind, Whitegate came much more into the game and a goal from a 20m free by their goalkeeper, Andrew Fahy, early in the final quarter, sparked off a very strong finish, which left Cratloe relieved to head the final whistle.
From the throw-in, Cratloe got the upperhand and had early points from Cathal McInerney and a Liam Markham free before Andrew Fahy made the first of a number of impressive saves when he denied Pádraig Chaplin.
A brace from Damian Browne stretched the winners’ lead before George Waterstone opened Whitegate’s account from a placed ball in the eighth minute.
Damian Browne, Conor McGrath and Conor Ryan added points for the winners before the end of the first quarter by which time they led by six but had also recorded six wides. It was 0-11 to 0-3 at the break with Waterstone the only scorer for Whitegate.
For the second half, Whitegate introduced John O’Brien in place of Trevor Kelly and moved John Buglar from attack to defence but by the three-quarter stage, Cratloe had extended their lead by two points with the score now at 0-15 to 0-5.
A foul on Ian Fahy led to the 20m free, which Andrew Fahy converted for the game’s first goal and this sparked off a strong finish from the underdogs. When George Waterstone blasted home their second goal with seven minutes still to play, the margin was down to three and suddenly Cratloe found themselves under pressure.
Conor Ryan replied with a point but a brace from Michael O’Brien left just two between the sides with four minutes remaining. Conor McGrath replied with a brace, the second a superb score before he forced another great stop from Whitegate goalie Andrew Fahy.
With two big delays due to injury, four minutes of added time followed during which Whitegate pointed twice, the second from Michael O’Brien going over via both uprights.
David Ryan, Barry Duggan, Damian Browne, and Conor McGrath were always prominent for the winners while Andrew Fahy, who made three superb saves, Brendan Buglar, Tommy Holland, Michael O’Brien and George Waterstone did best for Whitegate.

Cratloe: Sean Hayes; John O’Gorman, Barry Duggan, David Ryan; Enda Boyce, Michael Hawes, Liam Markham; Sean Chaplin, Sean Collins; Cathal McInerney, Conor Ryan, Damian Browne; Paudge Collins, Pádraig Chaplin, Conor McGrath.
Subs: Philip Gleeson for O’Gorman (38 minutes), Thomas O’Connor for P Chaplin (52 minutes).
Scorers: Conor McGrath (0-8, 4f); Damian Browne (0-6), Conor Ryan (0-3), Cathal McInerney (0-2), Liam Markham (0-1,1f).

Whitegate: Andrew Fahy; Trevor Kelly, John Buglar, Cathal Mulvihill; Tommy Holland, Brendan Buglar, Jason Malone; Patrick Minogue, Tomás McNamara; Eric Minogue, Raymond Cahill, John Minogue; Ian Fahy, George Waterstone, Michael O’Brien.

Subs: John O’Brien for Kelly (half-time); Shane O’Rourke for E Minogue (inj 40 minutes).
Scorers: George Waterstone (1-6, 4f), 1 65’; Michael O’Brien (0-4), Andrew Fahy (1-0,1f); Patrick Minogue, Tomás McNamara (0-1 each).

Referee: Seanie McMahon, Newmarket.

Inagh-Kilnamona 1-16   Scariff 0-12

Inagh-Kilnamona were worthy winners over Scariff at Sixmilebridge on Saturday, the margin of victory not fully reflecting their superiority.
The East Clare side started well and led by 0-6 to 0-4 after 14 minutes but this was as good as it got for them. During the rest of the half, the winners were very much on top, outscoring Scariff by 1-7 to 0-1, their sole score coming in injury time. 
Inagh/Kilnamona were in little real danger for most of the second half and their winning margin could have been greater but for a few rather casual wides. The game finished very badly for Scariff, as Conor McNamara was sent off in injury time, after a foul on an Inagh/Kilnamona back.
Niall Arthur had the first point for Inagh/Kilnamona in the first minute, while Shane McMahon had Scariff level on 90 seconds. Ger Arthur replied before a Ross Horan free levelled it in the fourth minute.
After Horan opened his account, the puckout from Patrick Kelly was grabbed by bustling centre-forward Cathal Lafferty, who put Inagh/Kilnamona back in front. 
Scariff were still going well and they held a two-point lead after 14 minutes, 0-6 to 0-4. 
In the 15th minute, Ger Arthur looked like he was fouled but although the whistle didn’t sound, he managed to offload to Lafferty who put it over the bar.  Inagh/Kilnamona took the initiative then, Niall Arthur pointing two frees, Eoin Vaughan adding one from play and Ger Arthur another. 
Another two points were added, bringing the score to 0-6 to 0-11, when the game’s only goal came from Niall Arthur, who found the net after an assist from Vaughan. 
While Barry Murphy got a point before the break, Scariff still found themselves seven behind, 1-11 to 0-7.
The week before, Inagh Kilnamona had let a good half-time lead slip against Crusheen in the Clare Champion Cup, but this wasn’t to be repeated.
They started the second half as they had finished the first, Ger Arthur and Cathal Lafferty increasing the lead by another two points. Scariff nearly got a lifeline when Ross Horan almost found the net after a great run by Pádraig Brody but ultimately, the winners rearguard got the ball out to safety. 
By the mid-point of the half, the scoreline was 1-15 to 0-9 and there was a bit of inevitability about the last quarter of an hour. Horan, Conor McNamara and Alfie Rogers had points for Scariff, while the winners’ total was rounded off with a point from Haulie Vaughan.
It was a good win for Inagh/Kilnamona whose full-back line looked solid, with Brian Glynn and Dermot Lynch turning in fine performances. Their half-back line also did well, while Cathal Lafferty and the Arthurs were good sources of scores.
It was a disappointing evening for Scariff for which Darragh Kelly, Ross Horan and Barry Murphy had their moments.

 Patrick Kelly; Milo Keane, Brian Glynn, Dermot Lynch; Ronan O’Looney, David Hegarty, Colm Pilkington; Thomas Kelly, Brian Foudy; Eoin Vaughan, Cathal Lafferty, Damien Lafferty; Conor Tierney, Niall Arthur, Ger Arthur.
Subs: Haulie Vaughan for Damien Lafferty, Shane Griffin for Eoin Vaughan, Dermot Gannon for Thomas Kelly, Jamie Davin for Conor Tierney. 
Scorers: Niall Arthur (1-5, 0-3f), Ger Arthur (0-4, 0-2f), Cathal Lafferty (0-4), Eoin Vaughan, Conor Tierney, Haulie Vaughan (0-1 each).

Scariff: Shane Mulvihill; Barry McNamara, Darragh Kelly, Jim Minogue; Patrick Minogue, Conor McNamara, Cathal Nash; Pádraig Brody, Diarmuid Nash; Michael Moroney, Kenny McNamara, Ross Horan; Alfie Rogers, Barry Murphy, Shane McMahon.

Subs: Matthew Horan for Michael Moroney.
Scorers: Ross Horan (0-3, 3f), Diarmuid Nash (0-2, 0-1f), Barry Murphy (0-2), Shane McMahon, Kenny McNamara, Pádraig Brody, Conor McNamara, Alfie Rogers (0-1 each). 

Clooney-Quin 3-15   Ballyea 1-14

A strong second half showing helped Clooney-Quin secure their first win of the 2011 Senior Hurling Championship when they overcame the challenge of Ballyea at Clarecastle on Tuesday evening.
In what was a crucial tie for both sides who had lost in their opening round outings, the winners came from behind to beat a Ballyea side that will rue missed chances in the opening half when they ran up a tally of 11 wides.
Ballyea held the upperhand in the first half but a two-point advantage at the break didn’t reflect that dominance. Helped by a goal from a 20m free by Tony Kelly, they were four ahead as half time approached, and this was a more accurate reflection on the game at this time.
In the final minute of the half Clooney-Quin’s Michael Daffy burst through to strike home a powerful goal and his team found themselves just two points adrift at the halfway stage. It was a huge boost to their hopes and they built on the score in the second half.
They also availed of the opportunity to review their line up for the second half. Cillian Duggan, who has been struggling to shake off a leg injury, was introduced at centre-back and his presence helped tighten up their backline. John Earls was also introduced for the second half and he certainly made his presence felt and helped set up a number of important scores.
The first two scores of the second half came Ballyea’s way with Tony Kelly and wing-back, Cathal Doohan pointing to put them four clear again. Points were exchanged twice and as the three quarter stage approached Ballyea were still four clear.
At the mid point of this half Clooney-Quin struck another vital blow. This time Michael Daffy turned provider and created the opening for Peter Duggan to find the net and bring the teams to level terms for the fourth time in the game.
Minor star, Duggan, the game’s top scorer, then converted a 40m line ball to give his side a lead they would hold to the finish. Six minutes from time they struck the killer blow when Cathal Egan finished off a good move with their third goal.
In addition to concern about the number of wides, Ballyea will also reflect on the fact that they only managed one point in the final eighteen minutes of a contest that produced some good exchanges.
Clooney-Quin, for their part, will look at their first half performance in particular when they struggled in a number of areas. However, they didn’t show any signs of panic and played some good hurling in the second period. 
Substitutes Cillian Duggan and John Earls did well as did Conor Harrison, Michael Daffy and, in particular, Peter Duggan who had a tremendous second half and who finished with a tally of 1-9.
Clare minor star Tony Kelly hit 1-6 for Ballyea for whom Brian Carigg, Cathal Doohan, Paul Flanagan and Gearóid O’Connell also did well.

Clooney-Quin: Damian O’Halloran; Shane McNamara, Conor Harrison, Joe O’Loughlin; Mike McNamara, Donnacda Murphy, Enda Harrison; Padraig Ward, Fergal Lynch; Peter Duggan, Martin Duggan, Sean Conheady; Michael Daffy, Adrian Fleming, Cathal Egan.
Subs: John Earls for Conheady (half time); Cillian Duggan for Ward (half time).
Scorers: Peter Duggan (1-9, 0-4f, 0-1 line ball); Cathal Egan (1-1); Michael Daffy (1-0); Padraig Ward (0-3, all frees); Martin Duggan (0-2).

 Shane O’Neill; Jack Browne, Brian Carrig, Paul Flanagan; James Murphy, Paddy O’Connell, Cathal Doohan; Gearóid O’Connell, Francie O’Reilly; Tony Griffin, Niall Keane, Niall Deasy; Francie Neylon, Kevin Sheehan, Tony Kelly.
Subs: Brian Murphy for Deasy (54 minutes); Alan Carigg for P O’Connell (56 minutes).
Scorers: Tony Kelly (1-6, 1-2f); Tony Griffin, Niall Keane (0-2 each); Cathal Doohan, Niall Deasy, Francie Neylon (0-1 each).

Referee: Tom Stackpool, Ennistymon.

Clonlara 2-19   Killanena 1-6

The final scoreline shows a win for Clonlara by 16 points but, for 40 minutes of their senior hurling championship game at O’Garney Park in Sixmilebridge on Wednesday evening, they struggled to get the upperhand on a dogged, if very understrength, Killanena outfit.
Clonlara were just two points in front, 0-7 to 0-5, at the halfway point after playing against the breeze on a wet and dull evening. They scored the first three points of the second half in the space of three minutes but a Killanena goal from substitute Eoin McMahon had the margin back to two five minutes after the resumption of play and it looked like last year’s intermediate champions would make the hot favourites battle all the way for victory.
From when Cormac O’Donovan raced through for his side’s first goal, 13 minutes into the second half, there really was only one team in the contest. From here on the South-East Clare outfit dictated the play and had their second goal from Clare minor Cathal O’Connell, who had the simple task of tapping the ball into the net after David Noone saved from John Conlon.
Without regulars Noel Sheedy, Gerry McNamara and Mark Flaherty, who are in the US, it was always going to be difficult for Killanena. The fact that they managed just one score from play, substitute Eoin McMahon’s goal, highlights their lack of scoring power.
The win has pushed Clonlara closer to the play-offs but they will still need something from their final group game, which is against Smith O’Brien’s on Sunday week. Nicky O’Connell, Cormac O’Donovan, John Conlon and Clare minors, Shane O’Brien, Colm Galvin and Cathal O’Connell, were prominent for Clonlara. Goalkeeper David Noone, Joe Clancy, Enda Collins, Alan McNamara and Barry Noone battled hard for the Killanena but their attack struggled to make an impression on the day.

Clonlara: Ger O’Connell; Shane O’Brien, John Moloney, Senan Nihill; Nicky O’Connell, Paul Nihill, Pat O’Hare; Cormac O’Donovan, Neil Ryan; Colm Galvin, Tomás O’Donovan, Tommy Lynch; John Conlon, Donal Madden, Cathal O’Connell.
Subs: James Hastings for Madden (45 minutes) and Paul Collins for S Nihill (50 minutes).
Scorers: Cormac O’Donovan (1-3), John Conlon (0-5, 4f), Cathal O’Connell (1-0), Neil Ryan, Colm Galvin and Tommy Lynch (0-2 each), Donal Madden, Tomás O’Donovan, Pat O’Hare, Paul Nihill (free) and Nicky O’Connell (f), 0-1 each.

Killanena: David Noone; Barry Noone, Joe Clancy, Pat Noone; Shane Moroney, John O’Mara, Alan McNamara; Mikey Noone, Enda Collins; Martin Glynn, Fintan McNamara, Declan Noonan; Colin McNamara, David McNamara, Padraig Brady.

Subs: Eoin McMahon for Brady (20 minutes), Stephen McMahon for D Noonan (44 minutes) and John O’Brien for Glynn (48 minutes).
Scorers: David McNamara (0-6, all frees) and Eoin McMahon (1-0).

Kevin Walsh, Wolfe Tones.

                                                                         O’Callaghan’s Mills 3-14   Wolfe Tones 0-15

THE ability of the Mills to find the net proved the difference between the sides at Cusack Park on Tuesday night.
In terms of possession, territory and even point-scoring capability there wasn’t very much in it but on only one occasion did Wolfe Tones really test John Cooney, while the forwards at the other end raised three green flags.
The sides were level at half time, 1-5 to 0-8 and it was a fair reflection of the play. But in the second half the Mills outshone a Tones side that has been ravaged by emigration and retirements to take their first points of the campaign.
Wolfe Tones will be able to take positives from the evening. They had several good individual displays but they are still pointless after two rounds and now their priority will be to avoid a relegation battle.
The Mills started quite well and had the first point through Adrian Flaherty. However, they had four wides in the first nine minutes, while Wolfe Tones hit three points, two from frees and one a fine score by Declan O’Rourke, which left them ahead by 0-3 to 0-1.
However, the Mills began to steady their shooting and had the next three points, to lead by a single point midway through the half. 
A handpass from Gary Leahy found O’Rourke in space and he pointed from the right wing in the 18th minute, tying it up before the first Mills goal.
It came through Flaherty and when he found the ball in space to the right of the goal he drove it with fierce power past Ronan Hehir. Indeed, such was the power behind it that it struck the back stanchion and came back into play, before Niall Donovan hit it back into the net, just to be on the safe side.
A free from Gary Neville put the Mills into a four-point lead but a strong finish by the Shannon men had them level by the break. For them Garret McPhillips pointed a free, Dáithí O’Connell added one from play and Gary Leahy added two fine points from distance.
As the sides resumed it was anyone’s guess as to where the points would go. Stephen McInerney put the Tones ahead in the second minute but they followed it up with three wides on the trot.
The Mills had been slow to start but Jonathan Lyons, who had a fantastic second half, had their second goal in the seventh minute. Patsy Keyes seemed to have flushed out the goal threat with a typically robust shoulder on Niall Donovan but when the ball fell to Lyons to the right of the goal, he placed it nicely into the far corner.
Wolfe Tones reacted well to the goal. Garret McPhillips replied with a point, while Aaron Cunningham, who came more into the game in the second half, had another after intercepting a short Mills free. However, the Tones were hit with another blow in the ninth minute when a Niall Donovan goal made it 3-5 to 11. This time the Mills hung onto the momentum, with Lyons tacking on two points after the goal, leaving it at 3-7 to 0-11. 
The Tones weren’t finished though and they had three of the next four points, bringing it to 0-14 to 3-8 but the Mills then began to take charge. In the space of three minutes they added three points, through Lyons, Neville from a 65 and Flaherty from a free. 
Garrett McPhillips had the last Wolfe Tones score from a free on 22 minutes but points from Lyons, substitute Alan Duggan and Flaherty from a free made the points safe for the Mills.
The winners will be reasonably happy with the display, as well as the result. Their full-back line were quite solid, while Jonathan Lyons and Bryan Donnellan did well, as did Adrian Faherty and Adrian Donovan. For Wolfe Tones, Brendan Hughes, Bobby McPhillips, Garret McPhillips, Gary Leahy and Aaron Cunningham were among their better performers.

Wolfe Tones: Ronan Hehir; Joe McGauley, Patsy Keyes, Brendan Hughes; Barry Loughnane, Bobby McPhillips, Stephen McInerney; Kevin McCafferty, Daithi O’Connell; John Guilfoyle, Gary Leahy, Declan O’Rourke; Aaron Cunningham, Garret McPhillips, Paul Walsh.
Subs: Richie Lillis for Stephen McInerney. 
Scorers: Garret McPhillips (0-5, 2f), Gary Leahy (0-3, 1f), Aaron Cunningham and Declan O’Rourke (0-2 each), Bobby McPhillips (’65), Stephen McInerney and Dáithí O’Connell (0-1 each).

O’Callaghan’s Mills:
 John Cooney; Ger Frost, Conor Cooney, Gerry Cooney; Jonathan Lyons, Patrick Donnellan, Bryan Donnellan; Gary Neville, Sean O’Gorman; Adrian Donovan, Declan Donovan, James McMahon; Eoin Pewter, Niall Donovan, Adrian Flaherty.
Subs: Alan Duggan for Pewter and Kevin O’Callaghan for Neville. 
Scorers: Adrian Flaherty (1-4, 3f), Jonathan Lyons (1-4), Gary Neville (0-3, 2f, 1 65), Niall Donovan (1-0), Adrian Donovan (0-2) and Alan Duggan (0-1). 

Crusheen 3-10   Newmarket 1-11

A storming finish, which yielded two goals inside the last five minutes helped defending champions Crusheen to this victory over Newmarket at Cusack Park on Saturday evening.
The result keeps Crusheen in line to retain a title they won for the first time last year and it leaves Newmarket depending on other results to keep their hopes of getting to the play-offs alive.
It was a result that didn’t seem likely at the mid-point of the second half at which stage, Newmarket had moved three points clear and were enjoying their best spell. However, their full-back line was always struggling in this tie and Crusheen capitalised with Pat Vaughan, Gerry O’Grady and substitute Paddy Meaney causing them serious problems.
Early points from midfielders Colin Ryan and Martin O’Hanlon had the winners two clear before Joe Meaney broke past a couple of defenders to score the game’s first goal in the 10th minute. At the other end, a timely interception by Alan Brigdale denied Sean O’Connor before Shane O’Brien saw his effort rebound off the upright.
Pat Vaughan and Fergus Kennedy helped keep Crusheen in front with some good points, while Colin Ryan was Newmarket’s chief marksman punishing Crusheen at every opportunity.
The first half was deep in injury time when the lively Shane O’Brien made the break, which saw Colin Ryan, now in the full-forward line, finish to the net to send the Blues to the break leading by a point, 1-5 to 1-4 after playing with the aid of the wind.
Shortly before the break, Pat Vaughan was helped from the field and it looked like he wouldn’t return but when Crusheen came back for the second half, the Clare captain was back in the action. Gerry O’Grady levelled after 20 seconds and then Colin Ryan and Vaughan swapped points, the Crusheen score coming after Vaughan intercepted an attempted short puckout from Kieran Devitt in the Newmarket goal.
As the end of the third quarter approached, Newmarket were enjoying their best spell and points from Enda Kelly, a great effort from near the sideline and a brace from David Barrett pushed them three clear with 15 minutes remaining.
This was still the margin with eight minutes remaining but Newmarket’s substitutes Jamie Fitzgibbon and Paddy Meaney were making an impression. A brace from Vaughan had the margin back to one with five minutes to play before Meaney signalled his arrival in the game with the equaliser.
A minute later, Newmarket were rocked. Ciarán O’Doherty picked out Gerry O’Grady with a 60m delivery and the Crusheen captain blasted to the net. Newmarket replied with a Sean O’Connor point but from the puckout, Crusheen attacked again and Fergus Kennedy’s delivery was superbly added to by Paddy Meaney for his side’s third goal. It was the score, which killed off the Newmarket challenge and may well have put them out of the 2011 title race.
For the most part, the Crusheen defence dominated and this is reflected in the fact that no Newmarket forward managed a score until the second half. Alan Brigdale, Cian Dillon and Ciarán O’Doherty were prominent throughout, while elsewhere, Pat Vaughan, Fergus Kennedy and substitute Paddy Meaney made excellent contributions.
Newmarket struggled in many areas in this outing when their best players were James McInerney and full-forward Shane O’Brien. 

Crusheen: Donal Tuohy; John Brigdale, Cronan Dillon, Alan Brigdale; Ciarán O’Doherty, Cian Dillon, Cathal Dillon; Tony Meaney, Shaun Dillon; Gearoid O’Donnell, Pat Vaughan, David Forde; Joe Meaney, Gerry O’Grady, Fergus Kennedy.
Subs: Jamie Fitzgibbon for G O’Donnell (44 minutes), Paddy Meaney for S Dillon (48 minutes),  Conor O’Donnell for Forde (55 minutes).
Scorers: Pat Vaughan (0-5, 1f), 1 65; Gerry O’Grady, Paddy Meaney (1-1 each); Joe Meaney (1-0); Fergus Kennedy (0-2), Gearóid O’Donnell (0-1).

Newmarket: Kieran Devitt; Shane O’Brien Junior, Stephen Kelly, Pádraig Kilmartin; Alan Barrett, James McInerney, Enda Barrett; Martin O’Hanlon, Colin Ryan; Sean O’Connor, David Barrett, Enda Kelly; Tommy Griffin, Shane O’Brien, Martin Murphy.

Subs: Darren Duggan for Griffin (35 minutes), Eoin O’Brien for Murphy (41 minutes), Noel Frawley for E Kelly (53 minutes).
Scorers: Colin Ryan (1-6, 0-5f); David Barrett (0-2), Martin O’Hanlon, Sean O’Connor, Enda Kelly (0-1each).

Referee: Ambrose Heagney, Corofin.

Broadford 2-15   Smith O’Brien’s 1-14

Nine points down early in the second half, a spirited rally from Smith O’Brien’s brought them level with 11 minutes to go but a strong finish from Broadford got them a deserved two points.
The losers were at a disadvantage before a ball was struck, as Shane O’Brien couldn’t start, his flight from England having been delayed. O’Brien had actually been home for training recently but on Saturday, he only made the closing minutes.
The winners settled the better, taking a lead of 0-5 to 0-1 by the 11th minute and they were looking far more comfortable. 
However, Smith O’Brien’s came into it a little, Dwayne Sheedy, who started instead of Shane O’Brien, doubling their tally, while Broadford keeper Cian O’Brien was forced to make two smart saves in the 13th minute. 
The outstanding Micheál Ryan pointed a sideline for Smith O’Brien’s to reduce the deficit to two.  Two pointed frees by Pádraig Hickey stretched the Broadford lead, before Kevin Walsh again went close to raising a green flag for Smith O’Brien’s. Although they still couldn’t get a goal, Ryan cut the gap again, with points from frees in the 18th and 20th minutes. 
After the second of those scores, Smith O’Brien’s were just two behind but two goals in the next seven minutes changed the complexion of the game. They both came from Mark Moloney who was adept at exploiting indecision in the losers’ rearguard.
Those scores, along with another point from Hickey, made the score 2-8 to 0-5 but two Smith O’Brien’s points from Ryan and Mark O’Halloran left it at 2-8 to 0-7 at the break.
While Smith O’Brien’s had their moments in the first half, Broadford were definitely looking stronger and weren’t really flattered by their lead.
Indeed, points from Stephen McCarthy and Anthony Sullivan after the resumption gave them a nine-point cushion but Smith O’Brien’s would soon come back into it. 
They had three unanswered points in the next four minutes, cutting the deficit to six. Broadford got back on track with a controversial Niall Moloney point in the 10th minute. As the ball went out of play, one of the officials waved it wide, while his colleague was raising the white flag. After consulting both referees, Damien Fox decided to allow the score.
That left the deficit at seven but in the 42nd minute, the Killaloe side had a lifeline, when Ryan drove a 21m free to the net. That cut the Broadford advantage to four, 2-11 to 1-10 but the momentum was with Smith O’Brien’s.
They were really beginning to use the ball well and they struck four unanswered points, two from Ryan and one each from Willie Neary and Kevin Walsh, to tie it up, 2-11 to 1-14 with 11 minutes left. 
But Broadford would put in by the far the stronger finish. A Pádraig Hickey free put them back in front with eight minutes left, while a disastrous puckout in the 53rd minute went to Mark Moloney who put two between the sides. 
Shortly after, Kevin Walsh squandered a goal chance for the Killaloe side, while they finally got Shane O’Brien on the field but unfortunately for his side, the introduction didn’t spark any revival. 
Instead, Hickey tapped over another free for Broadford and in injury time, Alan Kilcoyne sent a sideline ball over the bar, leaving the final score at 2-15 to 1-14, with Broadford merited winners.

Cian O’Brien; John Corcoran, Aidan O’Brien, Stephen Gunning; Peter O’Brien, James Gunning, Cathal Chaplin; Craig Chaplin, Alan Kilcoyne; Pádraig Taylor, Aonghus O’Brien, Declan Teefy; Mark Moloney, Niall Moloney, Pádraig Hickey.
Subs: Kieran O’Connell for Craig Chaplin, Donal Whelan for Teefy. 
Scorers: Mark Moloney (2-1), Pádraig Hickey (0-7,6f), Declan Teefy (0-2), Alan Kilcoyne (0-1) (line ball), James Gunning 0-1 (1f) Pádraig Taylor (0-1), Niall Moloney (0-1), Kieran O’Connell (0-1).

Smith O’Brien’s: Jonathan Hayes; Michael Culhane, Seamus Gleeson, Trevor Howard;  Brian McInerney, Pat Vaughan, Shane Tuohy; Micheál Ryan, John Cusack; Kevin Walsh, William Neary, Mark O’Halloran; Anthony Sullivan, Dwane Sheedy, Stephen McCarthy.

Subs: Mark Stritch for Tuohy, David Gough for Stephen McCarthy, Shane O’Brien for Sheedy.
Scorers: Micheál Ryan (1-8, 1-6f, 0-1 line ball), Kevin Walsh, Dwayne Sheedy, Mark O’Halloran, John Cusack, William Neary (0-1 each).

Referee: Damien Fox.


Ruan 2-21   Crusheen 2-11

LAST year’s beaten finalists, Ruan, kept up their strong challenge for a return to the final this year when they accounted for Crusheen on Monday evening in Éire Óg.
The winners had much the better of the first half and led at the interval on a score of 2-11 to 0-5, with their goals coming from Brendan Lyons.
Two goals from Patrick O’Grady brought Crusheen back into contention in the second half but the loss of centre-back Brendan McMahon to injury proved to be a major blow.
Killian Ryan, Jonathon Clohessy, Owen Hanrahan, Brendan Lyons, Aidan Lynch and Michael Vaughan were always prominent for the winners while Crusheen’s best were Donal Dillon, Conor O’Loughlin, Tony McMahon, Rory Halpin, Conor Hayes and Patrick O’Grady.

Pakie Roughan; Leon Quirke, Niall O’Connor, Gary Bell; Killian Ryan, Jonathon Clohessy, Dara Roughan; Owen Hanrahan, Tadhg Hanrahan; Caimin Howard, Aidan Lynch, Michael Vaughan; Patrick Keegan, John Punch, Brendan Lyons.
Subs: Colin Donoghue for Keegan; Alan Bell for T Hanrahan; Sean Cullinan for Punch; Dara Brohan for O’Connor.
David McMahon; Donal Dillon, Conor O’Loughlin, Tony McMahon; Donal Wylde, Brendan McMahon, Jason Greene; Rory Halpin, Thomas Vaughan; Niall Fitzgibbon, Conor Hayes, Gearóid O’Doherty; Alan Tuohy, Patrick O’Grady, Dara O’Doherty;.
Subs: Diarmuid O’Doherty for B McMahon (inj) Briain Dillon for Wylde (inj).

Bodyke 2-11   Sixmilebridge 2-11

BODYKE kept their hopes of a semi-final place alive when they shared the spoils with Sixmilebridge at Tulla on Monday evening.
Full-forward Ciarán Walsh was in sparkling form for the East Clare side contributing 2-4 from play, while Sean Doyle was another who made a vital contribution as he scored 0-6.
Sixmilebridge led by a point at half-time when the score was 1-5 to 1-4 with their goal coming from Mark Culbert and the sides continued to be evenly matched throughout the second half. Ronan Mullane was their other goalscorer.

Bodyke: Seamus Ryan; Keith O’Donnell, Caimin Treacy, Shane Walsh; Gavin Moroney, Colm Madden, Paul Boland; PJ Kelleher, Colin Molloy; John Fitzgerald, Sean Doyle, Brian O’Grady; Ian Molloy, Ciarán Walsh, Danny Maguire.
Subs: Oisín Molloy for Boland (inj); Sean McGrath for O Molloy.
Sixmilebridge: Sean Chaplin; Adrian Chaplin, Noel Purcell, Wayne Kennedy; Cathal Walsh, Sam O’Sullivan, Jonathon Downes; Christy Griffin, Sean Stack; Stiofan Fitzpatrick, Kevin Lynch, Michael O’Halloran; Ronan Mullane, Mark Culbert, Errol Tuohy.
Subs: Alan Mulready for Stack; Eoin Quinn for Purcell, Paul Corbett for Kennedy; Ronan Hayes for O’Halloran.

Parteen 4-17   Clarecastle 2-10

PARTEEN kept up their strong challenge for intermediate honours with this comprehensive win over Clarecastle on Saturday. First-half goals from Ivan Conway and Brian McSweeney helped them to a two-point lead at the interval. They went on to dominate the second half when they had further goals from McSweeney and Noel Bridgeman. Both Clarecastle goals were scored by their full-forward David Greene.

 Alan Murnane; Mark Cunningham, Cillian Conlon, David O’Sullivan; Andrew Beatty, Colm Quinn, Colm O’Connell; Brian McSweeney, Joe O’Connor; Mark Boland, David Small, Ronan Conlon; Noel Bridgeman, Ivan Conway, Darragh Yelverton.
Sub: Paul O’Dwyer for Conway.
Clarecastle: Jamie Coughlan; Jamie Fahy, Cathal Lynch, Eamonn O’Connor; Paddy Donnellan, Andrew Page, Barry Lyons; John Reidy, Garreth Barry; Adam Healy, Alan O’Loughlin, Sean Talty; Briain Lynch, David Greene, Niall Dunne.
Subs: S McMahon for Reidy; E Concannon for O’Loughlin.

                                                                                                      Éire Óg 1-18   Feakle 1-11

A BETTER-balanced Éire Óg side maintained their challenge for intermediate honours with this merited win over Feakle in a lively tie at Sixmilebridge on Monday evening.
Referee Johnnie Healy dished out seven yellow cards, four following a bust-up in the early minutes, as both sides battled for supremacy.
Éire Óg made the better start and raced into a five-point lead but Feakle dominated the final 10 minutes of the half and helped by a goal from Killian Bane, they went to the break leading by a point, 1-6 to 0-8.
There was more urgency in the town side’s play when the action resumed and they were back in front in the second minute when Danny Russell finished off a good move with his side’s goal. Russell and Barry Nugent added points but at the mid-point of the half, Feakle hit back with points from Ger Hanrahan and Gary Guilfoyle to leave just two between the sides with nine minutes remaining.
The Ennis side dominated the remaining time and added five points without reply from Nugent, Fergus Flynn, Adrian Walsh from a line ball and Ronan Keane to seal a merited win.
Ronan Keane, Danny Russell, Barry Nugent, Kevin Moynihan and Fergus Flynn were prominent for the winners who have Sixmilebridge’s John O’Meara as part of their backroom team.
Stephen Moloney, Henry Hayes, Colin Nelson, Gary Guilfoyle and especially Ger Hanrahan impressed for Feakle.

Éire Óg:
 Kevin Brennan; Cathal Whelan, Noel Whelan, Kevin Hally;  Tadhg McNamara, Fergus Flynn, Kevin Moynihan; Mark Fitzgerald, Marc O’Donnell; Ronan Keane, Adrian Walsh, Danny Russell; David O’Halloran, Tom Downes, Barry Nugent.
Sub: Dean Ryan for Walsh.
Feakle: Stevie Moloney; Patrick Daly, Colm Naughton, Peter Collins; Padraic Hogan, Henry Hayes, Sean O’Grady; Ger Hanrahan, Francis O’Grady; Gary Guilfoyle, Eoin Hayes, Colin Nelson; Shane McGrath, Raymond Bane, Cillian Bane.
Subs: Kenneth Collins for E Hayes; Donal O’Grady for F O’Grady; Alan Hogan for P Collins; Cathal Collins for C Bane; Tomas Moroney for McGrath.

Corofin 0-16   Meelick 0-7

DESPITE being reduced to 14 men in the early minutes when Declan Lee was red carded, Corofin proved too strong for Meelick in this tie played at Gurteen on Monday evening.
At the end of a hard-fought first half, the winners were a point in front with the score at 0-6 to 0-5.
They had the better of the second-half exchanges when Stephen Heagney contributed some great scores. The Heagney brothers, Killian Neylon and Luke O’Loughlin were prominent for the winners, while Damian Moloney, Dara Quinn and Andrew White did well for the South-East Clare side.

 Patrick Burke; Darren Malone, Luke O’Loughlin, Martin Tierney; Damian Ryan, Gerry Quinn, Dara Shannon; Matthew Shannon, John Keane; Kevin Heagney, Declan Lee, Neil Killeen; Killian Neylon, Paudie Barry, Stephen Heagney.
Subs: Eamonn Dunne for Barry; Keith O’Loughlin for Keane.
Meelick: James Duffy; John Callinan, Richard O’Grady, Kenneth Keane; Donal T Broggy, Alan Markham, Bobby Sherlock; Damian Moloney, Eanna Mulvihill; Gary Moloney, Darren Ryan, Darragh  Quinn; Andrew White, Ger Markham, Gary Callinan.
Subs: S Hayes for J Callinan; S Daly for G Markham; C Ryan for Broggy.

Ogonnelloe 1-16   Ennistymon 0-17

A GOAL from Rory Skelly in the closing minutes earned Ogonnelloe victory over Ennistymon in this tie played at Clareabbey on Monday evening. It was the first time in the game the East Clare side led.
The return of Peter O’Brien proved vital for the winners as he contributed  a total of 0-12 on the evening.
Ennistymon, with the aid of the wind in the first half, led by seven at the break when the score was 0-12 to 0-5. They should have been further ahead at this point as they had missed a number of chances as evidenced by their tally of 11 first-half wides.
Before this game, a minute’s silence was observed as a mark of respect to the late Fr Hugh O’Dowd, former parish priest in Ogonnelloe who served as a selector and team coach with the club for a number of years.

 Robert Dreelin; Pascal Sheedy, Michael Costelloe, Eoin Sheedy; Barry Kiely, Patrick Barton, Thomas Condon; Rory Skelly, Oisín Molloy; Kieran Forde, Henry Mooney, Peter English; Paul Healy, Peter O’Brien, John McKenna.
Sub: Michael N Bugler for P Healy. 
Ennistymon: Cathal McDonagh; Michael Devitt, Kevin Scales, Danny Harvey; Liam  Driscoll, Paudie Kelleher, Sean Driscoll; Brian McDonagh, Aidan Slattery; Caoimhin Fahy, Cathal Malone, Paudie Brennan; Tadhg Malone, Robert McDonagh, Tommy Hogan.
Subs: M McDonagh for T Hogan; D Mullins for Brennan.