ARCHIVE‎ > ‎archive 2015‎ > ‎Hurling Match Reports‎ > ‎

Bridge and Mills draw

posted 23 Sep 2010, 08:55 by Unknown user   [ updated 23 Sep 2010, 08:57 by Denis Tuohy Agricultural Consultant ]

Sixmilebridge  1-13            O’Callaghan’s Mills  1-13 

Sixmilebridge are this week putting the final touches to preparations for a senior hurling championship quarter-final replay in the knowledge that they are extremely fortunate to be still in the hunt for the 2010 senior title.
In the opening tie in a very attractive triple header at Cusack Park last Saturday, they were outplayed for long periods by underdogs O’Callaghan’s Mills who should now be getting ready for a semi-final clash with Crusheen.
Failure to avail of some good scoring opportunities, particularly in the closing period of the game, proved costly for the Mills and their supporters will be hoping they won’t find themselves regretting those misses come this Saturday evening.
Going into the game as favourites, everything seemed to be going according to plan when the ‘Bridge raced into a 1-4 to 0-0 lead after just 11 minutes. It had taken them five minutes to get the first score from captain Niall Gilligan who converted a 40m free. 
In the next three minutes they added two more through Mark Culvert and Caimin Morey and could have had a goal in the seventh minute following a Declan Morey break but Danny Morey’s effort went across the face of the goal.
They didn’t have long to wait for the goal, however and in the ninth minute Shane Golden raced through from midfield to find the net. The Mills defence was under a lot of pressure at this stage and both Diarmuid Hehir and Gerry Cooney were yellow carded in the space of two minutes.
Twelve minutes into the game, Fergus Donovan opened his side’s account. A minute later he struck for the goal that gave his side great confidence. Adrian Donovan’s cross from the right was knocked down by Niall Donovan into the path of Fergus who found the net.
It was point for point from here to the break when the score stood at 1-8 to 1-4 in favour of Sixmilebridge who had played with the aid of a fresh wind in the opening half.
Adrian Donovan and Niall Gilligan (free) swapped points in the opening minutes of the second half before the Mills hit a purple patch and scored four unanswered points to level the game at 1-9 each nine minutes into the half.
By now, the Bridge had made two changes to their attack having introduced two members of the Clare minor panel.  Seadna Morey was sent in at half time followed by Pa Sheehan in the fifth minute of the half.
Niall Gilligan (free) and Danny Morey put the Bridge two clear as the game moved towards the three-quarter stage but like scores from Conor Cooney and Adrian Flaherty had them level again with 12 minutes remaining.
In between the Mills brace of points they were awarded a penalty but Adrian Flaherty’s effort was stopped by Caimin Morey at the expense of a 65’.
After 12 scoreless minutes during which both sides made more changes, O’Callaghan’s Mills substitute Gary Neville put his team into the lead with two minutes of normal time remaining. Two minutes of added time were signalled and in the first of these the Bridge levelled through Niall Gilligan who pointed from a lucky free.
With half a minute remaining, Pa Sheehan put Sixmilebridge back in front and just when it looked like it might be heartbreak for the Mills, the Cooney brothers intervened. Goalkeeper John found Conor with the puck-out and the inter-county man found the target to tie up the game again.
It was the least the ’Mills deserved as they had the better of matters for long periods. James Shanahan, Bryan and Pat Donnellan were always prominent in their defence while, elsewhere, Conor Cooney and Adrian Donovan got through some great work.
Aidan Quilligan, Caimin Morey, Paudi Fitzpatrick, Rory Shanahan and Niall Gilligan did best for Sixmilebridge.

O’Callaghan’s Mills: John Cooney; Ger Frost, James Shanahan, Gerry Cooney; Patrick Donnellan, Bryan Donnellan, Diarmuid Hehir; Conor Cooney, Kevin McHugh; James McMahon, Declan Donovan, Fergus Donovan; Adrian Flaherty, Adrian Donovan, Niall Donovan.
Subs: Jonathon Lyons for McHugh (44 minutes); Gary Neville for Fergus Donovan (48 minutes); Alan Duggan for Niall Donovan (53 minutes).
Scorers: Adrian Flaherty (0-4, 3f, 1 65’); Adrian Donovan (0-4); Fergus Donovan (1-0); Conor Cooney (0-3); James McMahon, Gary Neville (0-1) each.
Frees: 11; wides: 8; 65s: 1

Sixmilebridge: Derek Fahy; Aidan Quilligan, Tadhg Keogh, Ray McNamara; Robert Conlon, Caimin Morey, Paidi Fitzpatrick; Shane Golden, Tommy Morey; Mark Culbert, Niall Gilligan, Trevor Purcell; Danny Morey, Rory Shanahan, Declan Morey.
Subs: Seadna Morey for Purcell (half time); Pa Sheehan for Culbert (35 minutes); Barry O’Connor for T Morey (52 minutes).
Scorers: Niall Gilligan (0-7, 6f); Shane Golden (1-0); Danny Morey (0-2), Caimin Morey, Rory Shanahan, Mark Culbert, Pa Sheehan (0-1) each.
Frees: 17; wides: 10.

Referee: Seanie McMahon, Newmarket-on-Fergus.