ARCHIVE‎ > ‎archive 2015‎ > ‎Hurling Match Reports‎ > ‎

AHL Rd 4

posted 14 Mar 2015, 11:36 by John O'Sullivan   [ updated 14 Mar 2015, 11:36 by Denis Tuohy Agricultural Consultant ]

Clare 2-22    Dublin 2-20

Goals from Cian Boland and David O'Callaghan in each half were not enough for Dublin as 14 man Clare rallied superbly in the final 20 minutes to take an unlikely 2-22 to 2-20 win at Cusack Park.

John Conlon hit the net late in the first half for Clare and Tony Kelly rattled another four minutes from time, while the Banner had Brendan Bugler sent off in the 35th minute following an off the ball incident.

But it was seven points in a row in the final quarter edged Clare ahead and Kelly's goal gave Clare the win their spirited comeback deserved.

Dublin led it 1-12 to 1-10 at the break and despite Conlon’s goal at the end of the first-half the visitors were well in control.

Clare had raced out of the blocks and after two minutes, as points from Tony Kelly and Conor McGrath gave them the initiative.

But it didn’t take long for Dublin to get into their groove and they went on to hit an unanswered 1-3 over the next seven minutes.

David O’Callaghan’s quickfire double had the sides back level before Boland struck the first goal for Dublin.

Full-forward Liam Rushe claimed Shane Durkin’s high ball and Boland emerged to tap the sliotar home and put Dublin into the driving seat.

Paul Ryan then pointed a free to give Dublin a 1-3 to 0-2 lead with just nine minutes on the clock.

But points from Kelly and Conlon brought Clare right back into the game only for Dublin to hit back with three of their own.

Ger Cunningham’s side led by 1-6 to 0-4, Aaron Cunningham reduced the arrears with a point for Clare but O’Callaghan and Rushe answered back with two more scores.

Conlon then sent in a booming effort that somehow managed to find its way in over the head of Alan Nolan in the Dublin goal.

It was a life-line for the banner but when Bugler saw red for an off the ball incident it looked like they had thrown it away again.

They trailed 1-12 to 1-10 at half-time and no one could have foreseen their dominance towards the latter end of the game in Ennis.

David Reidy’s introduction was pivotal and Kelly’s goal capped off a wonderful fightback where they had hit seven points in row to take a crucial victory.

Clare: D Tuohy; P Flanagan, C Dillon, D McInerney (0-01); B Bugler, C Ryan, P O'Connor; P Donnellan (0-01), C Galvin; J Conlon (1-04, 0-02f), T Kelly (1-09, 0-07f), S Golden; C McGrath (0-05), S O'Donnell, A Cunningham (0-01).

Substitutes: D Reidy (0-01) for Golden (43 mins), J Browne for O'Connor (52), D O'Donovan for Flanagan (67), B Duggan for Cunningham (70).

Dublin: A Nolan; C O'Callaghan, M Carton, P Schutte; C Crummy (0-01), P Kelly, S Barrett (0-01); C Boland (1-00), S Durkin; C Cronin, D O'Callaghan (1-04), D Sutcliffe (0-01); M Schutte (0-03), L Rushe (0-04), P Ryan (0-05, 0-05f).

Substitutes: N Corcoran for Carton (28 mins), B Quinn (0-01) for Cronin (55), C Keaney for Corcoran (60), E Dillon for Sutcliffe (64).

Referee: C McAllister (Cork).