ARCHIVE‎ > ‎archive 2015‎ > ‎Football Match Reports‎ > ‎

St Josephs and Liscannor Draw

posted 10 Sep 2010, 07:49 by Unknown user   [ updated 10 Sep 2010, 07:49 by Denis Tuohy Agricultural Consultant ]

Draw a fair result

St Joseph’s 1-6     Liscannor 0-9

When St Joseph’s went a goal clear seven minutes from the end of this quarter-final tie at Kilmihil on Saturday, everything pointed to a surprise.
Liscannor, however, were not prepared to give in and they hit back with three points to tie up the game for the fifth and final time. On the run of play, a share of the spoils was a fair result on a day when both sides finished with 14 men.
St Joseph’s went into the game without regulars Kevin Dilleen, the team captain, and Ivor White, who were ruled out due to injury but White did come into the game in the second half.
Liscannor were also forced into a late change, with Dara Blake left out of the starting line-up due to injury but he was called into the action six minutes before half-time. They were already without Denis Murphy and John Kerin, both of whom are recovering from knee surgery.
The sending off of Damian Kennedy (St Joseph’s) and Alan Flaherty, both on straight red cards in separate incidents in the second half, means that neither will be available for the replay.
Conditions were excellent for football but the standard of play was disappointing. The teams exchanged points twice in the opening quarter before Liscannor edged in front with scores from Ciaran Considine and Alan Clohessy, who converted a brace of 45s.
Early in the second half, Enda Lyons converted two frees for the Doora-Barefield side before they were reduced to 14 men when centre-back Damian Kennedy was red-carded for a tackle on Ronan Slattery.
Shortly after this Alan Clohessy put the North Claremen back into the lead. St Joseph’s were then struck another blow when they lost Colm Mullen to injury and everything seemed to be going in Liscannor’s favour.
At the mid-point of the half Enda Lyons levelled but then Alan Flaherty was shown a red card following a tackle on Enda Lyons.
Seven minutes from the end, substitute Ivor White delivered a good pass to Enda Lyons, who quickly transferred to Cathal O’Sullivan and the St Joseph’s full-forward drilled the ball past the advancing Noel Kilmartin for the game’s only goal.
Liscannor hit back immediately and two Ciaran Considine points, the first from play, cut the margin to the minimum with three minutes left.
A long-range effort from a free by Declan O’Keeffe was wide of the target and as the game entered the first minute of injury time Brian Considine’s effort from midfield went over the bar via the crossbar and the fingertips of O’Keeffe.
Gerard Considine, Shane Canavan, Brian Considine, Alan Clohessy and Dara Blake got through a lot of good work for Liscannor while St Joseph’s had impressive performances from Niall White, Sean Flynn, Enda Lyons and Cathal O’Sullivan.

St Joseph’s: Declan O’Keeffe;  Ger Fannin, Niall White, Sean Flynn; Keith Whelan, Damian Kennedy, Stephen Collins; Mark Raftery, Mark Hallinan; David O’Brien, Colm Mullen, Paul Dullaghan; Enda Lyons, Cathal O’Sullivan and Eoin Kane.

Subs: Cathal Nolan for Kane (20 minutes); Greg Lyons for Dullaghan (half-time); Ivor White for Mullen (43 minutes); Gavin O’Sullivan for O’Brien (59 minutes).

Scorers: Enda Lyons (0-4, 3f); Cathal O’Sullivan (1-0); David O’Brien and Keith Whelan (0-1) each.

Frees:19; Wides: 9; 45s: 2

Bookings: Paul Dullaghan (16 minutes); Niall White (28 minutes).

Liscannor: Noel Kilmartin; Shane Canavan, David McDonagh, Michael Foley; Robert Lucas, Ronan Slattery, Gerard Considine; Alan Flaherty, Brian Considine; Alan McDonagh, Niall Considine, Joe Considine; Declan Fawl, Alan Clohessy and Ciaran Considine.

Subs: Dara Blake for Joe Considine (24 minutes); Thomas McDonagh for Alan  McDonagh (33 minutes); Joe Considine for Slattery (inj, 37 minutes); Paul Guerin for Fawl (50 minutes) and Davy Commane for T McDonagh (58 minutes).

Scorers: Alan Clohessy (0-4, 2f, 2 45s); Ciaran Considine (0-3, 1f); Brian Considine (0-2).

Frees: 20; Wides: 4.

Referee: Michael Talty, Kilmurry-Ibrickane