ARCHIVE‎ > ‎archive 2015‎ > ‎Football Match Reports‎ > ‎

Munster Senior Club Championship

posted 8 Nov 2010, 11:03 by Unknown user   [ updated 8 Nov 2010, 11:11 by Denis Tuohy Agricultural Consultant ]

Stradbally  0-7             Doonbeg 0-4

STRADBALLY are through to meet Nemo Rangers in the semi-final of the AIB Munster club football championship following a deserved victory over Doonbeg in Fraher Field yesterday.

The Waterford side had the strength in defence to hold out in the face of a more aggressive challenge from the visitors in the closing stages, when two quick scores from Shane Ryan gave them hope of a late recovery. That quickly died, however, when Tony Grey made a crucial block as Pádraig Gallagher attempted a shot at goal. 

The ironic feature of Doonbeg’s performance – which saw them accumulate 13 wides in total – was that for much of the opening quarter they looked a superior team, moving the ball about with purpose in attack after leading Clare scorer David Tubridy had kicked them into the lead in the second minute. However, before Stradbally had even opened their scoring in the 10th minute, Doonbeg centre-forward Shane O’Brien had kicked three wides. 

Indicative of their poor finishing was the fact that they did not get their next score until immediately after half-time, whereas Stradbally put over four more points in a 17-minute period. Two of these came from Trevor Curran, one of a number of players whose form was crucial to them taking control. 

Firstly, Brick Walsh and John Coffey were influential in midfield and their advantage was to be complemented by the contribution of centre-back Eddie Rockett. Up front, along with Curran in the corner, the half-forward trio of Stephen Cunningham, Shane Aherne and Tommy Connors did great work. 

Leading 0-5 to 0-1 at the break, Stradbally quickly responded to an opening score from Shane Ryan through an excellent point from wing-back Andy Doyle. And while a Tommy Connors score in the 48th minute marked their last of the game, they were not unduly concerned because of Doonbeg’s continuing problems in attack. 

Tubridy missed two scorable frees as well as fisting wide at the end of a strong run in along the end line. And as the wides mounted up, Stradbally could afford the loss of a few scores themselves from promising moves and a few frees. However, if impressive full-back Pádraig Gallaher had goaled nearing the final whistle, these misses could have been very costly. 

Scorers for Stradbally: T. Curran (0-2); S. Cunningham, N. Curran (free), S. Aherne (free), A. Doyle and T. Connors (0-1) each. 

Scorers for Doonbeg: S. Ryan (0-3); T. Tubridy (0-1, free). 

STRADBALLY: O. Costelloe; T. Costelloe, S. Lannon, T. Grey; J. Hearne, E. Rockett, A. Doyle; J. Coffey, M. Walsh (capt); S. Cunningham, S. Aherne, T. Connors; R. Aherne, N. Curran, T. Curran. 

Subs: P. Weldon for T. Curran (43); C. Casey for R. Aherne (60). 

DOONBEG: N. Dillon; J. Blake, P. Gallagher, C. Whelan; R. Vaughan, D. Downes, P. Aherne; E. Doyle, F. O’Dea; B. Egan, S. O’Brien, C. Dillon (capt.); D. Tubridy, S. Ryan, K. Nugent. 

Subs: C. Downes for Egan (44); S. Killeen for O’Dea (inj. 45); J. Whelan for Nugent (50); B. Dillon for O’Brien (57). 

Referee: Derek O’Mahony (Tipperary).