ARCHIVE‎ > ‎archive 2015‎ > ‎Football Match Reports‎ > ‎

Junior A Final

posted 21 Oct 2010, 12:06 by Unknown user   [ updated 21 Oct 2010, 12:07 by Denis Tuohy Agricultural Consultant ]

Kilfenora 1-11           Éire Óg 1-6

A year on from losing the 2009 junior A football final at the same venue, Kilfenora returned to the intermediate grade for 2011. 
Éire Óg’s inability to avail of a glut of first-half chances, including a penalty saved by Liam Keane, definitely helped Kilfenora but their second-half display indicated that they were well worth their win. 
Austin Kelly turned in an excellent hour’s football, while Killian Malone, who didn’t start, added pace and scoring threat to the winners’ attack. 
The opening 30 minutes were so even that no more than a point separated the teams at any stage and come half-time, they were level at 0-5 apiece. 
Along with the Ennis team kicking seven first-half wides, Éire Óg’s David Ryan had his penalty attempt saved. It had been awarded after a foul on Graham Glynn but Kilfenora goalkeeper Liam Keane got down to his right and nudged the ball onto the post. 
Glynn pointed four of his side’s points in the opening 30 minutes with Robert Dunne adding their fifth. Danny Russell had a reasonable goal chance just before half-time but his shot hit the side netting. 
Although Kilfenora didn’t have as much possession as Éire Óg, Pat Connole, James Keane and Austin Kelly, from play and frees, notched some lovely scores. 
Just before half-time Killian Malone could have goaled for the winners but his low shot missed the target. The opening eight minutes of the second half belonged to Kilfenora. James Keane, who had half a goal chance, Malone, Jason Connole and Kelly reflected this with four successive points from play. 
To make a game of it Éire Óg needed a goal and Graham Glynn provided it. First off, he turned on a sixpence and laid off to Mark Fitzgerald, whose shot was saved. Glynn managed to net the break and infuse his side with renewed hope as Kilfenora now led by just a point, 0-9 to 1-5. 
A swift point from Killian Malone and an Austin Kelly goal turned the game irrefutably in favour of Aidan O’Keeffe’s team, each setting up the other’s crucial score. The final 16 minutes only produced a point each and in fact following Kevin Theasby’s point, Kilfenora didn’t score in the last 15 minutes. 
By the time Gary Flynn kicked a late Éire Óg free, the game was over. Just before that score Diarmuid Nagle had cleared off the line from Danny Russell. Maybe if that chance had resulted in a goal, the final minute or so of injury time could have been more eventful. 
Albeit a short-lived row did liven things up in injury time, which culminated in Jason Connole receiving a red card. Receiving treatment for a knock, he had rushed from the sideline to join in before Michael Talty rushed him back off after waving a red card at the Kilfenora wing-forward. 
Austin Kelly delivered a big performance for Kilfenora, while Cathal Nagle, Pat Connole, James Keane and Killian Malone also played key roles in their club’s return to intermediate football. 
Graham Glynn was Éire Óg’s most effective forward, while Robert Forde and Noel Whelan gave it everything for the men in red and white. 
Kilfenora were better balanced however, and deserved their win, which they greeted with relief as much as jubilation.

Kilfenora: Liam Keane; Shane Long, Diarmuid Nagle, Paudie Ireland; James Brody, Cathal Nagle, MJ Malone (captain); Pat Connole, Jonathan O’Gorman; Jason Connole, James Keane, Michael Theasby; Austin Kelly, Liam O’Brien, Kevin Theasby.

Subs: Paul Reddan for James Brody, Killian Malone for Michael Theabsy.

Scorers: Austin Kelly (1-4, 0-1f); Jason Keane, Killian Malone, (0-2f), Pat Connole, James Connole, Kevin Theasby (0-1) each.

Wides: 8; Frees: 21

Éire Óg: Eoin Slattery; Kevin Cleary, Robbie Malone, Brian Dolan; David Ryan, Noel Whelan, Kevin Moynihan; Robert Forde (captain), Mark Fitzgerald; Brian McMahon, Robert Dunne, Fergal Brennan; Niall Daly, Graham Glynn, Danny Russell.

Subs: Gary Flynn for Niall Daly Stephen Guilfoyle for Kevin Moynihan Aidan Keane for David Ryan.

Scorers: Graham Glynn (1-4, 0-4f); Robert Dunne (0-1); Gary Flynn (0-1f).

Wides: 10; Frees: 25; 45s: 3

Referee: Michael Talty, Kilmurry-Ibrickane.