ARCHIVE‎ > ‎archive 2015‎ > ‎Football Match Reports‎ > ‎

Football Qualifier Rd 1

posted 5 Aug 2010, 09:19 by Unknown user   [ updated 5 Aug 2010, 09:20 by Denis Tuohy Agricultural Consultant ]

Saturday, June 26, 2010


 Offaly are in the draw for Round 2 of the GAA All-Ireland Qualifiers

after a staging a remarkable comeback before completing a 2-18 to 1-18

extra-time victory over Clare in Tullamore on Saturday afternoon. The

home side were trailing by seven points, 1-12 to 1-5, with 15 minutes

left on the clock, but a Ken Casey goal sparked a remarkable comeback

that saw the Faithful men force the game into extra-time in a dramatic

finish with the sides finishing level on 1-13 to 2-10. Clare imploded in

the first half and the excellent David Tubridy's point was their sole

response to seven scores from Offaly in the first period of extra-time.


Offaly's forwards were on fire by the end of the game, but they started

quite differently. The Banner led 0-6 to 0-1 at the break after Offaly

had kicked eight wides in the first half, with their solitary score

coming from the boot of Brian Geraghty after 25 minutes. Niall McNamee

and Ciaran McManus finally pointed the way for a resurgent Faithful

outfit after the break, before they came right back into the game seven

minutes into the second half when David Egan's shot was cruelly

deflected past Joe Hayes, the Clare goalkeeper, to leave just a point

between the sides. Clare, however, fashioned the best possible response

when David Tubridy moved them two points clear with his fourth free of

the afternoon.


Two minutes later, the Banner had a goal of their own when Gary Brennan

burst through on goal and fed Kevin Cahill, who finished neatly to leave

his side 1-10 to 1-5 clear. Tubridy knocked over another free as well as

his third from play to leave Clare seven clear and, seemingly, in cruise

control. However, Offaly showed true grit in the closing stages to haul

back their opponents' lead. McManus, Casey and Geraghty all hit the

target for the home side as they clinically reeled Clare in over the

final quarter. Graham Kelly stemmed the tide momentarily, but Casey

pounced for a crucial Offaly goal with two minutes left on the clock to

leave just a point between the sides. Graham Guilfoyle then clipped over

the equaliser from play a minute later and the sides were level.


Remarkably, Offaly even had a chance to win the game in injury-time, but

Ken Casey struck a free wide and the game went to extra-time. Offaly had

all the momentum and they made that advantage tell by kicking the four

points in succession in the first half of extra-time, with Casey and

Guilfoyle again striking crucial points from play. Tubridy, again, was

ploughing a lone furrow for Clare while offally were reeling off points

with ease to cruise six clear at the end of the first period of



Clare, however, were not finished and a pair of Tubridy points as well

as a Barry Toner effort cut the gap to three. Tubridy even had time to

miss a great goal chance, hitting the side netting when he might have

levelled the game. Clare's hopes were finally ended when they had Graham

Kelly sent to the line following an off-the-ball incident. Ciaran

McManus sealed the win with an injury-time point for Offaly, who, on

this evidence, could prove a tough nut to crack in Round 2.


Offaly: A Mulhall; B Darby, S Brady, P Sullivan; N Darby, R Brady, K

Slattery; B Geraghty, R Dalton; J Reynolds, B Connor, C McManus; A

Sullivan, K Casey, N McNamee.


Clare: J Hayes; M Tubridy, B Duggan, B Carrig; M McMahon, G Kelly

(captain), D Callinan; G Quinlan, G Brennan; M O'Shea, P O'Dwyer, A

Clohessy; D Tubridy, D Russell, D Daly