ARCHIVE‎ > ‎archive 2011‎ > ‎Top News Story‎ > ‎

SHC Round up

posted 10 Jun 2010, 02:50 by Unknown user   [ updated 21 Jun 2010, 02:51 by Denis Tuohy Agricultural Consultant ]


Hurling Match Reports

Clare SHC round up

By Michael O'Connor.
Following this weekend’s series of games all bar one game remains unplayed in the second round of the Clare SHC. Last weekend Clonlara defeated Ballyea (0-16) to (1-12) as Whitegate overcame Smith O Briens (3-18) to (1-10) in the first two games. On Sunday evening in Sixmilebridge Newmarket on Fergus came from behind to deny O Callaghans Mills on a (1-15) to (1-13) scoreline. A late late goal from Eoin Hayes gave Newmarket the points as Bernard Gaffney hit 11 points. Enda McNamara scored the goal for O Callaghans Mills on the stroke of half time as Newmarket had came from (0-6) (0-2) in arrears to go a point clear. Stephen Kelly starred for Newmarket on Fergus as Mark Flaherty accounted for most of O Callaghans scored from frees. Following a 21 point defeat at the hands of Crusheen in round one Corofin needed to get their challenge back on track but this failed miserably as St Josephs forced them to endure another torrid championship day on a (4-17) to (0-11) scoreline in Shannon. St Josephs were only two points ahead after the interval but Corofin collapsed as Mike McNamara (1-6) and two goals from Shane O Connor and a fourth from Damian Kennedy turned the game in the third quarter. The double header on Sunday evening in Cusack park brought a sizable attendance to headquarters. In the opening game Clarecastle who were making their bow in the championship took on Kilmaley who drew their opening game with Scariff.
The Magpies had the ball in the Kilmaley net after 30 seconds courtesy of Darragh Moloney . Kilmaley fought back with a goal from inter county player Diarmuid McMahon early in the second half. With the game entering the final quarter Kilmaley led by the minimum (1-10) to (1-9) as Clarecastle hit 18 wides over the hour with 12 in the second half alone. Kilmaley held a comfortable lead entering the final ten minutes that Clarecastle whittled away and with the last puck of the ball Clarecastle goalkeeper John Casey scored the equaliser as the sides finished on a  (1-12) apiece for Kilmaleys second draw of the championship. The final game of the weekend saw the tie of the round with neighbours  and reigning champions Cratloe facing Sixmilebridge. Hopes are high in Sixmilebridge for an extended run in this years title race but after 12 minutes Cratloe were (0-5) to (0-0) ahead with Conor McGrath and Sean Collins on target.
Eventually Sixmilebridge began to play with more confidence and tagged on 6 points in the second quarter from Caimin Morey, Cyril Crowe, Niall Gilligan and David O Connor but Cratle finished the half the better to lead (0-9) to (0-6) at the break and playing well.  Cratloe stretched their lead to five early in the second half but a succession of  Cratloe wides kept Sixmilebridge hopes alive. Eventually they drew level in the 46th minute through a goal from a Niall Gilligan free.  Within two minutes the ball was in the Bridge net as Sean Collins raced through to release Conor McGrath who made no mistake as Cratloe went three clear in the 52nd minute. The class of former intercounty star Niall Gilligan shone brightest in the latter stages as he scored five in a row to keep Sixmilebridge as the game finished in a (1-13) draw.